Constantine coin nice roman thing but what exactly is it ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by mark240590, May 12, 2013.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

What could it hurt to see if you can get permission to do some metal detecting with the agreement that any finds will be shared?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

They are constantly digging away at it re-building the fort to how they think it was :)

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

You don't need Hadrian's Wall. The Romans swarmed Britain. Try your back yard.

5. mark240590

Ha ! I highly doubt there's anything in my back garden, my estate was only build 50 years ago I would have thought any major coin finds would have already been un-earthed not just that but a foot down its all hardcore :(

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I just watched a show last night about a home here in the US that was purchased in order to refurbish and resell. When the floorboards were removed, a major historical find was unearthed from around the time of George Washington. No one knew it was there and it had been only 200 years since it was covered over. My point is, however, that you never know what you might find, even in your own backyard garden.

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Neve know what makes up that "hardcore". Could be baked brick residue. Us Americans aren't terribly used to it, but in the rest of the world cities literally get built up over old remains all of the time. So much so that almost any hill you see could be the remains of a previous settlement. I remember a program once where Egyptologists went into a crowded slum in the center of town and tore down a few shanties revealing a tomb underneath.

Point being, you never know. In the UK its not as common as the middle east, but still. At least you have a CHANCE of something being there, unlike us. :(

8. mark240590

I suppose ! Best be optimistic ey ?

And I think you lot got the good deal same as the Aussies what were we thinking ? Yes we will recognise your independence but you must move to Britain first ha !

Or in the case of the Aussies hey you theif ! Go to prison here whilst the rest of the country emigrates !

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A Hadrian in that price bracket would not be a very pretty coin. He is not rare but comes from a time 200 years earlier when coins were either decent silver or larger bronzes much more in demand by collectors today. I once traded a silver denarius of Commodus for a similar bronze coin of Constantine II with a rare mintmark but Hadrian is more expensive than Commodus and your coin is not a rare variety. I would suggest keeping it and buying a half-decent Hadrian in the $50 to $100 range.

10. mark240590

Thanks guys you've all been a massive help ! I would love to get into them but I don't understand all of this Trajan and denarius stuff ha !

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Well, a nice little book by a fellow countryman by the name of David Sear, in his 1988 single volume of "Roman coins and their Values" would surely get you up to speed. :)

12. mark240590

Thanks again for more info I will get on it :) I may just have this as a subdued collection. I would also love a coin with Britannia on are they expensive ? I would imagine they are :(

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

As you might guess, Britannia coins sell better in the UK than in other parts of the Roman world. Just in case you have the urge to spend, there is a Hadrian with Britannia reverse and the ones that have sold recently don't seem to be all that nice so I would expect one with fully clear 'Britannia' and details on the reverse to be more than a little 'expensive'.
    http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=138811

14. HoldingHistory

HoldingHistory Active Member

I have sold Britannia coins for $50 in lower grade. Just so you know, it is a theory that the building on the back of your coin is not a camp gate, but rather a beacon tower. There are different types with different numbers of "turrets" which could refer to different signals. I haven't researched it much myself, but I thought I would throw it out there.
    Nathan

Draft saved Draft deleted