Constantine coin nice roman thing but what exactly is it ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by mark240590, May 12, 2013.

1. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

I've just found this in a box I was going to therow out looks like I've picked this up without knowing about it ! So what exactly is this ?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368396121.852334.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368396133.851373.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a coin of Constantine II, Augustus from 337 to 340. The reverse is called the "campgate" type.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Constantinople RIC VII 39 Constantine II AE3. AD 329. CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate, cuirassed bust right / PROVIDENTIAE CAESS, campgate, six layers, two turrets, star above, gamma left, CONS in ex.

Your coin is a nice example.

5. Bing

Let me change that to RIC VII 27

6. mark240590

Wow you guys really know your stuff ! Is this a common coin then also what is the approx value of This ? I like it !

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This has a good strike and smooth surfaces but enough wear to drop it to VF at best and no trace of the original silver wash the issue had when new. I'd call it a keeper but cash values depend on so many factors not the least of which is where it is and who is selling it. Big full service dealers generally don't sell coins this common in this low grade and rip off artists on eBay might ask twice as much as a big dealer would for one twice as nice. If I were shopping for one of these I would expect to pay about $20. I wonder if the rest of the collectors here will call me a spendthrift or a cheapskate? In any case see if you can talk it down from the edge of that toilet. At 1600+ years, it is too young to die. :confused:

8. John Anthony

I would say $20 is about right.

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

*welcome* => I love seeing new faces in the ancients section ...

That really is a very nice lookin' example ... congrats!! (I hope that you hang-on to it and become a long-term ancient coin-collector!!)

:welcome:

:foot-mouth:

10. Bing

I think Doug is being kind. I would say $12-$15 tops.

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I think$20 is fair

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's a nice lookin' campgate...if you're not into ancients (shame on you ;)) then you can probably get what the guys said above for it. if you don't have any ancients, what a great place to start!

13. mark240590

I think i will probabbly keep it im not into ancients no although i would love something from empror Hadrian since my town where i live has a fort (Arbeia) for those wanting to google it and Hadrians walll is just a short drive away. The main reason i dont collect ancients is because they ahave so much information crammed into them and i collect the british empire and commonwealth which is hard enough to collect as it is without being side-tracked ha !
    Doug its not on the toilet it was the basin Edge :D

It was too dark to take a decent picture here and the bathroom has the most powerful lights in the house :D

Thanks for the valuation too anyone wanna swap it for something with Hadrians head on or are they expensive ? ha!

14. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

It's look we have same reverse but the obverse look not the same images.

Picture 1097.jpg
    Picture 1101.jpg

15. John Anthony

Redwin, yours is a coin of Constantine I, or Constantine the Great. (If you read his history he turns out to be not so great.) The mint is Nicomedia.

That campgate reverse has many variations.

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would agree in today's market that is $20. Common coin, but pleasing condition and a popular reverse type. Architectural types always have a strong following, and being the only real architectual type for LRB this type is appealing.

Personally I would grade it gF/aVF myself. Too much wear on the obverse to be labeled VF. However, everything else about the coin looks good though, from centering to surfaces, and it has an acceptable style, that is why I think this gF/aVF coin is worth $20 to someone.

17. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

Thank you John, This coin is One of the two that I recieved from one of the member here for FREE as 2nd winner of abbreviation Numismatic from FROOGYCOIN of FRANCE. I love this two coin never have any coin older than this two Roman or Ancient Coin.
    Picture 1099.jpg
    Picture 1085.jpg Picture 1079.jpg Picture 1102.jpg

18. Bing

I believe you may have some trouble finding a Hardian portrait coin in the value range. I have a few I've been able to acquire over the past year or so in the $25-$35 range, but one has to be watching closely to catch one at that price.

19. mark240590

maybe i should take a metal detector round the fort at night when nobodys around :D

20. Bing

I know you said that as a joke, but man if there is any way to do it legally, I'd be there (if I were you since you live there). Is it private land or public land? If it's private, see if you can get permission. About the only thing I could get here with a metal detector is the watch inside some gators belly.

21. mark240590

Haha ! It's public. Well I assume it is entry is free last time I was there as a kid there was an exposed skeleton with artefacts around it :)

Draft saved Draft deleted