Constantine campgate from Siscia with lots of rows

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Victor_Clark, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Awesome campgates everyone. it's funny, that for years I have loved campgates, but have never really specifically collected them...campgates happen though.

This one is not special for the rows, but it has eagles on the turret. When it is eventually dispersed with the rest of my collection, it will forever be known as "from the collection of a Southern gentleman" :)

Nicomedia_22a.JPG

Diocletian
    A.D. 295
    AR Argenteus
    19mm 3.3g
    DIOCLETIANVS AVG; laureate head right.
    VICTORIAE SARMATICAE; four turreted camp-gate, open, with doors thrown back; each turret surmounted by facing eagle.
    In ex. SMNΓ
    RIC VI Nicomedia 22a

and something for any modern collectors who are accidentally looking at this post

This 10 euro coin was issued by a bank in Trier, Germany, to mark the 1700 year anniversary of Constantine's residence in that city, and was accepted by most businesses in the city until 31 March 2008.

The reverse is the Porta Nigra, an ancient Roman gate for the city of Treveri, now called Trier.

thaler.jpg

Constantine I
    A.D. 2007
    30mm 9gm
    Obv. CONSTANTI-NVS P F AVG
    Rev. KONSTANTINTHALER 2007 SPARKASSE TRIER CITY-INITIATIVE TRIER e. V.

svessien, PeteB, Heliodromus and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sky92880

sky92880 Well-Known Member

Here siscia campgate coins :
    coins 1,2,4,5,and 6 are RIC VII 214, nr 3 is RIC 215.
    All of the siscia campgate coins have dots around the outline of the building.
    Not always good visible. ( i have aprox. 250 of siscia campgates )
    the difference between coin 2 and 3 , and between 4 and 5 is the number of vertical stones at the top of the building.
    Number 6 has 16 horizontal layers.

Attached Files:

4. Victor_Clark

I think we have a winner for most rows ever...congrats. Now, I must find an example! :)

maridvnvm likes this.
  5. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

I'm a little late...but here's my contribution to this thread!

I originally wanted this coin when I saw it in the previous Gorny & Mosch auction, but for one reason or another, I forgot about the auction start time and missed the lot. Luckily, a fellow CTer who knew I wanted the coin informed me that it was available in a dealer's inventory and I purchased it.

As my collection is fairly small, this is my only coin from the argenteus family. It is also my only coin that depicts a campgate.

Constantine I (AD 307/310-337)
    AR Half Argenteus
    Constantine I half argenteus 1.jpg
    Date: AD 306-307
    Obv: IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder.
    Rev: VIRTVS MILITVM, four-turreted campgate; no doors; TR.
    Diameter: 15mm
    Weight: 1.6 grams
    Mint: Trier mint, 1st officina
    Ex Praefectus Coins
    Ex Gorny & Mosch Auction 276 (19 April 2021), lot 645.
    Ex Credit Suisse Bern Auction 4 (4 December 1985), lot 624.
    Ex British Museum

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  6. Victor_Clark

better late than never...congrats on the new addition-- if you are only going to have one it is a great choice. Your mintmark is TR though, not PTR.

and the most appropriate meme I could think of on the spot--

0zjg5dwc4as61.jpg

Jims Coins, PeteB and Romancollector like this.
  7. Heliodromus

Heliodromus Well-Known Member

Nice pedigree, but I wonder why they deaccessioned it?

8. Victor_Clark

they may have had more than one example, like the sale below--

St8kE3Bw4daLjNE26s6GQD9koqM5RA.jpg

Jims Coins likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I really object to listing of coins with centration dots as separate varieties. The dots are what they are, no perhaps.

I believe my favorite Campgate is this Flavius Victor from Arles. I call it the 'Campgate of Dr. Caligari'.
    ry7875bb3084.jpg

Bing, Claudius_Gothicus and PeteB like this.
  10. Heliodromus

Heliodromus Well-Known Member

Yes, I suppose, although they still retain many duplicates of much more common types. I'm guessing value may have something to do with it.

I'm really not enthused about some of the ways museums operate such as this selling of things that may have well been gifted to them in the first place, or in this day and age not at least putting everything online rather than hoarded in the basement.

11. Victor_Clark

I object to your objection...in fact I find it very objectionable :)

The reason I note it, is because maybe, just maybe, it is more than a remnant of the engraving process. I have also looked at a lot of Constantinople campgates and not noticed an example before.

there are lots of campgates with dots and they can't all be centering dots.

here is a coin with dot in bottom of doorway and dot in arch over brick. the dot in brick is smaller...maybe a centering dot...but I note both dots.

RIC_VII_London_293var.jpg

here's one with a dot in doorway and one in brick over arch on either side.

Rome_267.JPG

info in RIC about Rome dots, though some may be merely centering dots.

Rome 264 dots.JPG

Antioch campgates have fat dots in archways...are they centering dots?

Antioch73a.jpg

plenty of other examples out there.

So, if I am completely sure it is a centering dot, I don't mention, otherwise I make note.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  12. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

...or more accurately, campgate motherload! :happy::happy::happy:;)

Nathan B. and Victor_Clark like this.
  13. Victor_Clark

it's just been diagnosed as a disorder-- Compulsive Campgate Collecting Disorder...or CCCD

5frmfk.jpg

14. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

:joyful::joyful::joyful:...love it!!!

15. Victor_Clark

I'm sure some members have ex-Dattari campgates, but none have been posted. Here is one from Alexandria, no surprise given his interest in that city, with unusual dots on the turrets.

pTw63nwGeRW4Z2zz7oEf4s9XxFQ8C5.jpg

Crispus
    A.D. 325-6
    19x20mm 2.3g
    FL IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left.
    PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS; camp gate with two turrets and star between them.
    in ex. SMALB
    RIC VII Alexandria 35

16. Victor_Clark

My last post remined me that I had some more provenanced campgates and in an effort to rebut criticisms on FAC that this board is too frivolous, I insist that you learn something numismatic from this post...no frivolity.

I recently acquired a large group of ex-Peter Weiß...if you do not know who that is, you must not be interested in Constantinian era history; but if that's not true, then you should read "The Vision of Constantine." Journal of Roman Archeology 16, 2003, pp. 237-259.

Here is the first one, from Siscia, like my first coin in this topic. This example has fewer rows, but does have dots in the top row and what I think might be an attempt to simulate crenellations --

Con II Sis 216.JPG

Constantine II
    A.D. 328- 329
    18x19mm 2.8g
    CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C; laureate head right.
    PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS; camp gate, two turrets, no doors, star above.
    In ex. ESIS double crescent
    RIC VII Siscia 216

and a Crispus from Arles---

Arles_266.JPG

Crispus
    A.D. 324- 325
    19mm 3.2gm
    FL IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS; camp gate with four turrets and star between them; open doors.
    in ex. S✶AR
    RIC VII Arles 266

note the errant dot on obverse between the bust and first letter of the legend.

The majority of the coins I got, including the next campgate, have similar patinas and lots of silvering; which makes it seem like they could be from the same hoard. I was researching two not in RIC and not campgate coins and discovered that they appear to be plate coins for the Bikić-Do Hoard. It is hard to be sure that they are not merely just die matches though because of the way the photos in the book were edited, with some of the edges missing.

The Bikić-Do Hoard was discovered in Serbia in 1952. There were 10,590 coins, mostly from Eastern mints. 22 coins dated before A.D. 318 and 9 after A.D. 324. There were no Licinius IOVI types retarrifed to 12 and a half. I looked quickly through the book and the latest coin I saw was a two standards GLORIA EXERCITVS from Heraclea, struck A.D. 331, which gives an idea for the date the hoard was buried; though as mentioned earlier, almost all the coins were from A.D. 318- 324.

Sirmium VIII. Études de Numismatique Danubienne: Trésors, Lingots, Imitations. Monnaies de Fouilles IV au XII Siècle (Rome: Ecole francaise de Rome, 1978)

As an aside, this is a great reference for Constantinian VLPP coinage from Siscia.

Here is the campgate that I suspect was part of the hoard. As I mentioned, the other coins have similar surfaces with lots of silvering, and the silvering is one aspect of the hoard that was noted in the book, and mostly from Eastern mints. It would probably be better for demonstration purposes if I posted the other coins, but it is about 15 in total.

Lic II Her 19.JPG

Unfortunately I do not know how the hoard was dispersed and find no records of it, though it is certainly credible that Peter Weiß could have obtained a few examples.

17. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Hah, interesting timing in finding this thread, I just learned the term "Campgate" a few hours ago. I was cataloging recent sale prices of Constantine era bronzes, and I noticed that some were inexplicably more expensive than others. I soon realized that the outliers tended to have that very distinctive brick wall design on the reverse. Getting "Campgate" from the coin descriptions, I decided that these coins should be evaluated differently than most of the rest.

Is my general observation about pricing correct? Either way, this is still a pretty strange coincidence considering that this is the first time I've hopped on Cointalk in the last 2 years. It's stuff like this that makes me more and more think that this whole reality might actually be a crazy simulation! :woot:

18. Victor_Clark

Yes, campgates can get pricey (but so can many series) depending on rarity and quality. Collectors also look for tiny variations that elevate otherwise common coins.

As an example, besides focusing on rows, one can obsess over doors. Bruun noted 20 different door types in "The Constantinian Coinage of Arelate" though I bet there are a few more variations than those he noted.

VIRTVS_doors.jpg

two example that I have sold, illustrating door variations--

Arles 291 19mm 3.2gm.jpg

Constantine I
    A.D. 325- 6
    19mm 3.2gm
    CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, laureate head right.
    VIRTV-S AVGG, campgate with wide open doors, four turrets, star above.
    In ex. SA crescent RL
    RIC VII Arles 291

Arles292.JPG

Crispus
    A.D. 325- 326
    18x20mm 2.7gm
    CRISPVS NOB CAES; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left.
    VIRTVS CAESS; camp gate with four turrets and star between them; open doors.
    in ex. TA crescent RL
    RIC VII Arles 292

19. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

You guys got me interested in Campgates and I was planning on adding one to my collection. I recently purchased a batch of mid to late empire slabbed coins somewhat site-unseen. They showed up in the mail today and, lo and behold, there were 2 Campgates in there! Lucky me :woot:

Constantius II and Constantine I:
    Campgates.png

Spaniard and Johndakerftw like this.
  20. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I certainly agree that «camp gates happen»....

The Galerius argentus from Nicomedia has the most rows among mine, and is on par with Victor with 15.

Constantius AE3.jpg Constantine II.jpg FBF858EE-5E5B-404A-A93E-CCD29EA690C6.jpeg Diocletian.jpg Galerius, Nicomedia Argentus, unlisted.jpg Constantinus campgate1.jpg IMG_0439.JPG

21. Victor_Clark

I had to resurrect this thread because--

b5e63082-0ce7-43e2-8a12-fa8f04992139_text.gif

This campgate has 17 rows to the right side of the doorway and 16 rows to the left. Also dots in top row and long block over doorway.

fRK34rzG3rW7L5sneZ6Sk2PwnDE9E8.jpg

Constantius II
    A.D. 326- 327
    19mm 3.4g
    FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left.
    PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS; camp gate with two turrets and star between them; • in doorway.
    in ex. SMANT[H]
    RIC VII Antioch 74

Draft saved Draft deleted