Constantine Bronze up for auction

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by medoraman, Jan 25, 2013.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

http://www.vauctions.com/auctions/A...s_Sale_296_Opening02_14_2013&utm_medium=email

Am I missing something? This one is "rare" and worth a $250 starting bid? I have one just like it I kept just because I thought the helmet was somewhat interesting.

Anyone have an insight why such a bronze would be seemingly so valuable? Maybe its just seller wishful thinking, but just checking if I am missing something important.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Did you see the discription? Maybe it has to do with the Cuirass decorated with an aegis on the bust? I rarely ever see it.

4. medoraman

Yeah I read that. Is that the important money in this coin? Is that important in any of his bronzes, or only this type?

Just trying to wrap my head around the whole thing. Usually I can understand LRB rarity more nowadays, but at first blush this one confused me even with the aegis.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Well I have never seen that type available/sold before for constantine. But I have seen aegis on early denarii and they tend to go for a premium over a regular bust. I guess its no different with later romans :/

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is a fair question. Someone found a bust type that is different and different in a way that has some following. I have one Probus with an aegis but I didn't consider it a big deal and didn't pay extra. This auction attempts to establish if anyone cares. I don't have the level of interest required to justify the price. From the poor photo, I wonder if anyone will. If, however, two bidders decide that they do care, the coin could go through the roof. It will be interesting to see. I do note that there are no bids as of this time but there could be several lurking in the wings waiting to pounce in the last seconds. Time will tell.

7. medoraman

To be fair, its a brand new auction. I would doubt there would be any bids yet anyway.

I agree it will be interesting, I was just wondering if I was overlooking something major, like anepigraphic obverses, highly important reverses, or something. :)

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Only person I'd think would grab it for that much is a specialty collector that"needs" that particular one.

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Vauction coins tend to get bids more at closing time. Ive watched some I was interested and Poof, they skyrocket.

I am curious if this gets any bids too.

10. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Rare or not, that piece is grossly overestimated. I wouldn't start at more than 150. Sure, it may go significantly higher, but the current estimate is overly ambitious and will certainly frighten away at least a few potential bidders.

11. medoraman

So why do you think $150 is appropriate Bill? The rarity of the aegis on the bust?

12. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

A $100 estimate, the average where I work, is the minimum. With that estimate I'd be afraid that prospective bidders would gloss over it as a run-of-the-mill LRB. $150 would show that it's slightly better than average.

I don't think it's described quite right. The cuirass is not "decorated with an aegis" - that literally means he has a piece of armor decorated with another piece of armor! He is either wearing an aegis or a regular cuirass decorated with a gorgoneion. I prefer the later.

Draft saved Draft deleted