Constantine all over the place

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bonedigger, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Here are four Constantine The Great coppers I cleaned up recently. The one with Winged Victory on the reverse is really cool :) and two of the others show a Roman soldier spearing his foe!!!

It was a tough period :D

Bone

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Bone,two of them are Constantine the Great but the skinny guy top left is probably a son or later descendent with the family name.Constantine is always pictured as a big beefy dude.I would be interested to see a closer-up photo of the bottom left coin.Looks like a female.

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I'll dig them out in the AM and try to get you a better pic :)

Bone

5. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

This is probably similar to the one I mentioned,Constantius II.

Attached Files:

6. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

OR...it could be guy #2..My vote is with the first.

Attached Files:

7. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

And I think this is your bottom right coin because I think I can see DNVALEN from 8 to 11 O'clock,the portrait looks similar and the reverse is the same.

Attached Files:

8. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I agree with your first choice, Constantius II. The second one, the bust with the long hair I'm still looking for but I do recall it somehow being related to Constantine??? It does have a chariot on the reverse too.

9. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I think I found the coin and you were right,it's Constantine I.
    Constantine the Great, deified, AE 3. 337-340 AD. DV CONSTANTINVS PT AVGG, veiled head right / emperor driving quadriga right, the hand of God reaching down to him, SMALT in ex.

Attached Files:

10. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Yep, that's the one. Man "You've got some AWESOME ancients."

Bone

11. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Thanks,the last picture was from Wildwinds,not from my collection...sadly.The rest are mine.

12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I agree with Mikjo0, top left is Constantius II, son of Constantine the great. It cannot be Constantius Gallus, who is always represented bare head, and you can see a diadem.
    Bottom left is constantine the great, a commemorative coin struck after his death.
    Bottom right should be Valentinian I or II, I can't say more(I'm at work with no books)
    Cucumbor

13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

For the top right one, I would say Constantius Gallus, FEL TEMP REPARATIO reverse and Constantinople mint, similar to the one below (courtesy of Wildwinds)

[​IMG]

14. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I totally agree cucumbor...between you and me,no coin is safe from identification!

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ya better be careful Mik - that comment might just constitute a challenge :D

16. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Uh oh! Maybe I should have said ancient Roman coin. :)

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Boy it's a good thing I like you :D

Draft saved Draft deleted