Constantine-2 Head Left

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Apr 6, 2014.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

This Roman coin has the Emperor with the head turned left ( To viewer ). It is the only one in my collection with such a design. The reverse seems also interesting with some green patina. Could it be scarce? Any value.. Thanks
    Charles ugly O 001.jpg ugly R 001.jpg

chrsmat71, vlaha, NOS and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are several of the period that appeared left. They are not particularly special just from being left. In some cases that is the only way the particular type comes.
    rx4960b01270lg.jpg rx5630bb0847.jpg rx5720bb0926.jpg rx5930bb2122.jpg rx5997bb2904.jpg rx6258bb3038.jpg rx6300b02211lg.jpg rx4380bb0113.jpg rx4490bb1557.jpg

chrsmat71, vlaha, NOS and 3 others like this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a nice coin, but not scarce. Also it's not Constantine II, but Constantius II. Gotta read those legends carefully. Here's mine, from Heraclea mint.

Constantius II, 317-361 AD
    AE3, 19mm, 3.4g, 12h; Heraclea mint: 326
    Obv.: FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust left.
    Rev.: PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS; Camp-gate with two turrets, no doors; 6 stone layers; star above // SMH epsilon dot
    Reference: RIC VII Heraclea 84

constantius.jpg

chrsmat71, vlaha, randygeki and 3 others like this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice coins, fellas ...

Constantius II

constantius II rocks a.jpg constantius II rocks b.jpg

chrsmat71, vlaha, randygeki and 3 others like this.
  6. 7Calbrey

J.A Your coin and mine might well belong to Emperor Constantius 1 who ruled from 305 to 306 as Caesar under Emperor august Maximian. That was during the Tetrarchy which was founded by Emperor Diocletian. Constantius 1 was also known as Constance Chlore and was the father of Constantine the Great. As for Constantius 2, also known as Constance 2 and born in 317, he ruled from 337 to 361 and was the son of Constantine the Great, together with his brothers Constantine 2 ( 337- 340 ) and Constans (337- 350 ). The Roman Empire is divided.. Please consider this historic approach. Thanks .
    Charles

NOS likes this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> ooowww man, I love it whenever somebody mentions Constantius I

constantius1a.jpg constantius1b.jpg

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No! There is absolutely no need to rework the entire literature on coins of the period.

stevex6 likes this.
  9. John Anthony

Constantius Chlorus was Flavius Valerius Constantius. Your obverse legend, and mine, read FL IVL CONSTANTIVS, or Flavius Julius Constantius, who was Constantius II.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> oh man, you been 'told'!!

;)

11. John Anthony

Steve, I love seeing this coin every time you post it. It may be the pic, but it seems to have some very fine porosity. Still, I can't imagine it looked any better the day it came off the presses, other than being shiny bronze. Really a great example of the type!

stevex6 likes this.
  12. 7Calbrey

Thank you for your extended contribution. And as they say in French: We always need to learn. On apprend toujours...
    Charles

vlaha, John Anthony and stevex6 like this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> wow, truer words have never been spoken

Great new coin, 7Calbrey (congrats)

14. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

I love your first, seventh, and last examples Doug, truly awesome.

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

neat markings on the bottom row of bricks of the OP campgate, cool oblique bricks...I don't remember seeing that.

16. John Anthony

Bruck records this as one of the Siscian varieties, although the top tier of the OP coin is slightly different. Second row, second figure...

bruck.jpg
    The OP coin is slightly different in ornamentation at the top of the campgate, but Bruck is by no means exhaustive. It would be an interesting project to collect campgate varieties - there are certainly enough of them to hold one's interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted