Constans Hut

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Feb 25, 2017.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I thought I'd try dabbling in more Fel Temp hut coins in between horseman and picked this on up.

IMG_2291.JPG
    Constans
    Billon centenionalis 21mm, 4.3g
    D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG Pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand./ FEL•TEMP•REPA-RATIO Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points upwards and to the right.
    Exergue: ΔSIS(Symbol 4)M

Siscia, officina 4; 348-350 CE
    Ref: RIC VIII Siscia 218; LRBC 1121
    BW Ref: 107 024 079

Ex Moonmoth collection
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/coins/constans_107.htm

rrdenarius, TIF, chrsmat71 and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Nice one Randy. I still need to grab me one of these types.

gregarious and randygeki like this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Good coin, and a bit more interesting than the usual LRB, good pick up.

gregarious and randygeki like this.
  5. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

It is a really nice example. Good pickup.

Here is mine from the same collection.

Constans - AE2

Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Laureate and rosette-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand
    Rev:- FEL•TEMP•REPA-RATIO, Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards, between the soldier's legs
    Minted in Siscia; (// BSIS(Symbol 2)M ), A.D. 348-350
    Reference:– RIC VIII Siscia 217 (C). LRBC 1121 var (Hut 2)

Ex-Moonmoth collection

[​IMG]

TIF, chrsmat71, icerain and 13 others like this.
  6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Gavin Richardson and ken454 like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet OP-score, geki ... congrats on your new hut-gut

Ummm, I also happen to have a humble Constans example ...

Constans Hut Guy.JPG

TIF, chrsmat71, icerain and 11 others like this.
  8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

nice pick-up randy... my only hut so far is a Constantius II....

RIC8-102,S.jpg
    Constantius II AE2 Follis. Aquileia mint. 337-361 AD

CONSTANT-IVS PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust
    left, holding globe
    FEL TEMP REPAR-ATIO, soldier holding spear, point upwards,
    leading small figure from a hut beneath a tree with pod-like leaves.
    Mintmark AQS dot. rated common
    22 mm, 3.8 g
    RIC VIII 102, S

TIF, chrsmat71, Alegandron and 10 others like this.
  9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Super 'hut' example guys!!!

For me, 'focusing' on these types (and FH types) is something I have to put off a bit---so many other coins constantly catch my eye and my budget first.

randygeki and Gavin Richardson like this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice addition, Randy.

Been thinking of upgrading mine since its one of my first ancients.

[​IMG]

TIF, chrsmat71, ken454 and 9 others like this.
  11. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I love this coin type. Good OP pickup. And rarely do I say, "Nice flan," but Ken's coin is remarkable for that feature.

Despite my love of this coin type, I too was late in realizing that Bill Welch (I think that's his name) was selling off his "moonmoth" collection. I was able to get examples from Rome, Trier, and Lyons from him. He was very gracious in cutting me a deal for all three. I just need Arles to complete a mint city set for Constans.

Given his considerable time investment in these coins, I wonder why Bill's selling. I hope he is well. In any event, his Forum webpages on this type were a real service to the numismatic community, both collectors and academics alike.

One tidbit about this type: Konrad Kraft believed that this so-called "barbarian and hut" type was much more common for Constans than for Constantius II. From my collecting pursuits, I have experienced this to be true, albeit unscientifically.

TIF, ken454 and randygeki like this.
  12. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

A set for Constans didn't take too long. Constantius is looking much harder.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  13. Gavin Richardson

BTW, here's my coin from Siscia, to compare with the OP coin. I've always thought my Siscia had a strange style. The obverse portrait has a "puffy" jawline, more like Magnentius's. And the reverse is quite angular, with its own appeal, but hardly graceful. I've typically attributed the style to simple engraver variations, but I've also wondered if it was unofficial (doubtful) or even (gulp) fake. I bought it in 2007 from cichosgladiator@aol.com on German eBay. At any rate, it has always seemed a bit of a stylistic outlier. 19.12 mm. ;2.45 g.

CONSTANS BH SISCIA 1.jpg

TIF, chrsmat71, ken454 and 6 others like this.
  14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks and sweet coins all.

I was thinking Constantius II would haven been easier and starting getting some of his hut coins; Oh well, more of a challenge will be fun :)

I picked up a Constans for a Siscia mint sent of him. I only need the captive FTR now.

Gavin, that last one does seem a bit odd in style, neat coin.

stevex6 likes this.
  15. Gavin Richardson

I have my own theories on this coin type that I've unfolded ad nauseum, so I will spare everyone here. But regarding the association of Constans with this type, here's the relevant Kraft argument, from an early essay I wrote about the coin: "Konrad Kraft ... argued in very specific terms that the ‘barbarian and hut’ reverse represents Constans’ peaceful settlement of the Franks in Toxandria (present-day Belgium). Constantius II also minted the ‘barbarian and hut’ type, but Kraft asserted that the ‘Typ Hütte’ is to be principally associated with Constans because of the overwhelming number of ‘barbarian and hut’ reverses struck for that emperor, especially by Eastern mints, even though Constans was Emperor in the West."

In other words, if Eastern mints were striking the hut coins in large numbers even for a WESTERN emperor (Constans), then there must be something special between Constans and the scene depicted on this coin type.

randygeki likes this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I believe only 7 of the 13 mints that struck huts for Constans also struck them for Constantius.
    rx6353fd1487.jpg rx6375bb2997.jpg rx6405bb3231.jpg rx7015bb3242.jpg rx6580bb2124.jpg

TIF, chrsmat71, ken454 and 9 others like this.
  17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Well I suppose for the moment, I'll have a mixed collection of Huts.

What are the numbers for the other FTR types? According the Danes FH ric spreadsheet, there are 15 mints for Constantius II and 9 for Constans.

18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Went to the local shop to look at their RIC to see if I could find out, but thats the only volume they didn't have :/ lol

19. Gavin Richardson

Maybe folks didn't quite understand your query. There are multiple FTP reverse types. I don't know if they were minted uniformly for each emperor at each mint. I think the FTR "barbarian-hut" type for Constans has these 13 mint cities. Let me know if I'm missing one or more.

Alexandria
    Antioch
    Aquileia
    Arelatum
    Constantinople
    Cyzicus
    Heraclea
    Lugdunum
    Nicomedia
    Rome
    Siscia
    Thessalonica
    Treveri

randygeki likes this.
  20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice RG...i'm still lookin' for a hut LRB,s o nothing to share.:(

randygeki likes this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Questions like who struck what where are easy to find in Bruck which is a book every collector of late Romans should own despite the fact that it is not an 'and their values' catalog. Buy it wherever you wish. The hardback is twice as much so I bought the papeback. The original was in German if that is easier for you than this English version.
    https://www.amazon.com/Late-Roman-B...F8&qid=1488161416&sr=8-1&keywords=bruck+guido

randygeki and Gavin Richardson like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted