Considering to buy Ambiani stater - genuine?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

So I have the possibility to buy an Ambiani stater for a reasonable price (€700, which is not cheap nor too expensive). I've bought coins from this dealer before, but have little experience with Celtic gold coinage. Hence the question: do you consider this coin genuine? I have no objective reasons to doubt it: the weight is within normal range (6 gram), as is the diameter (17.5 mm). The style is comparable to others I've found online, e.g. at CNG. The edges show some small splits.

One thing I dont like, are the holes in the lowest horizontal line. It doesn't really look like casting pits, but I've not found comparable 'holed' horizontal lines in the examples online.
    upload_2019-8-26_20-9-8.png
    GAUL, Northeast. Ambiani. Circa 58-55 BC. AV Stater (17mm, 6.15 g). Gallic War issue. Plain bulge / Disjointed horse right; crescents and pellets around.
    D&T 241; Scheers 154; De la Tour 8710; SCBC 11. Good VF, a few light scratches on the obverse

These ones shows resemblance:
    https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=342249
    https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=241335

I could not find a comparable example at FORVM Fakes.
    Any imput is appreciated, as always.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

I have no experience in Celtic coins, but if I would buy an expensive and/or gold coin, and I would doubt even 1 second on the authenticity of it, I would skip it immediately. Just my personal opinion.

DCCR likes this.
  4. Roerbakmix

@Pavlos Certainlly, I agree. However, it's not doubt per se: I have no sound reasons to doubt the authenticity. On the other hand: I'm not an expert either, hence the post.

5. DCCR

DCCR Member

6. Roerbakmix

Hi @DCCR, thanks. It indeed seems to be the same.

The British Museum coin:
    upload_2019-8-27_11-21-43.png
    The coin above:
    upload_2019-8-27_11-22-25.png

What are your thoughts on whether it's genuine or not?

7. DCCR

DCCR Member

I can't say for sure if it's genuine, but it's the right weight and size, it looks ok to me, and I'd be happy to buy it.

Pavlos makes a good point though. If you are unsure for any reason, walk away. You won't enjoy the coin if you have nagging doubts about it. The Gallic War staters are one of the most common Celtic coins so unless you particularly want a class 4 (techically, class 4 "heavy/fronds") there will be many more to chose from.

Here's another example: https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/326092
    And another: https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/961114

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  8. Roerbakmix

Thank you, @DCCR for the other examples. I have no objective doubts per se, I'm perhaps a bit overcautious and looking for confirmation on authenticity rather than confirmation of forgery.

I would certainly appreciate any other opinions! Note, I've bought from this dealer before, but never a single coin of this price. Hence my caution.

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It looks OK to me, and I like the toning on it, and the price seems reasonable on a gut-check level, but all of this is said with the caveat that I too know very little about Celtic coins, aside from having browsed examples for sale.

(I want one of these too, but can't really afford one, and if I ever do get Celtic gold in the future, it will likely have to be a quarter-stater or some such.)

DCCR likes this.
  10. DCCR

DCCR Member

Hi @Roerbakmix, I'm not sure anyone will guarantee authenticity from a photo, but if it helps, I only collect unscribed Celtic gold and I'd have no problems buying it.

As for the price, I had a quick look (it's a slow day at work) to see what else is available at the moment to see how yours compares:

€1400, €1250, €1200, €1200, €1150, €1120, €1100, €1100, €1100, €1050, €950, €940, €900 (Same type as yours), €900, €900, €850, €820, €800, €750, £675 (€742), €700, €700, £595 (€654), £595 (€654), €650

There are also a number of auctions at the moment:

Starting price of 300 CHF, Starting price of 300 CHF, Starting price of €320, Starting price of €640, Starting price of £1250

The one you have found is one of the nicest example from all of these, and is at the lower end of the pricing.

Good luck with your decision :)

Roerbakmix and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. Roerbakmix

Again, a big thanks to @DCCR. Thanks for the extensive research (it sure must be a very slow day at work!).

I've made the decision to buy the coin. Will post pictures soon.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I usually get my AV Celtic coins from Chris Rudd/ CNG/ Kunker.....all have impeccable standards for grading, and you are getting the real deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted