Considered counterfeit?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mgmgmg75, Aug 31, 2016.

1. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

I was going to post this in Christopher290's thread titled "List: Favorite Coin", but decided not to hijack it and started this one instead.

Specifically regarding the 1861-O Half dollar. If the US first minted, then the State of Louisiana minted, then the Confederate Army minted, wouldn't the last two be considered counterfeits? Using stolen Federal dies.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

not exactly sure

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think there is a difference between being declared counterfeit and being demonetized.

Chris

5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I don't think they would be considered counterfeit because counterfeits are meant to deceive. They were still using the same silver and dies and a legit mint building. They weren't trying to be deceitful with those coins.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not counterfeits, coins of one government coined using the dies of another government. (The coins were legally produced by an authorized government entity) The US mint has struck coins using the dies of many other governments, are those coins counterfeits? That is an interesting question. Are there other examples of one government using the dies/design of another for their own domestic use?

7. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

But, these dies, and silver, were owned by the Federal gov., coinage meant to be used by the Federal gov., but were actually used against the Federal gov. I suppose you could say they the Confederate gov. stole the silver and/or coin, but was recovered at a letter date?

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would say the dies were owned by the FORMER Federal government, but that government dissolved when the South seceded. The inheritor of this property was the new authority, first the state of LA and later the confederacy.

Therefor, I would not consider it a counterfeit at all. They were struck by those who had the legal right to strike coinage.

9. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

I thought that the Federal gov and the Confederate gov were in existence at the same time, hence the Civil War.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

YOU could say that if YOU really wanted to. I wouldn't, but if it means that much to you....

Insider and cpm9ball like this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree with Books. If it means that much to you, then why should we discuss this further?

Chris

12. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Many different countries' coins circulated in America up until about that time. Additionally, I doubt anyone looked at die marriages or could tell the issues apart in 1861. It filled a need at the time just like Spanish Reales and other coins filled a need in our early history.

Paul M. likes this.
  13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes the coins being discussed were minted by an authorized govt. entity. But they were not authorized by the govt. that originally owned the designs and the dies, namely the US govt. So in my eyes at least, yes that would make them counterfeits.

No, because the other govt. asked the US, and usually paid them, to mint those coins.

Using the design of the coins of another govt. - yes. But they made their own dies to do so. The Russian govt. secretly had the Russian Royal Mint, make their own dies to mint copies of the Netherlands gold ducats for a period of 133 years (1735-1868). And all the coins were of the correct fineness and weight. And then the Russians used those coins for their own purposes.

Without question, all of those coins were counterfeits.

mgmgmg75, Kentucky and Paddy54 like this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I agree with Jim on this one, as the dies, blanks and press used to make these did in fact belong to the U.S. Federal Government . When captured they were used to coin or make coins that in fact weren't for the U.S. Federal Government but to be used for the C.S. war efforts .
    Jim is also correct stating that the US mint does and has minted coins for other governments ' countries' under approval and contract by said government .

A perfect example would be country xyz contracts the US mint to mint 50,000 coins. Any mintage's over that amount would be considered counterfeits . Even though they are minted on the dies,using the same blanks , and materials .

mgmgmg75 and coinzip like this.
  15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

While it's true that the coins were not minted for the federal government the counter argument would be that the Union never formally recognized the legitimacy of the succession. Without formal recognition they were technically US minted coins

Paul M. likes this.
  16. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Not a prayer. The coiner, assayer, etc. were not legal employees of the US Mint.

mgmgmg75 likes this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Originally owned by the US Gov. Now they were "spoils of war" captured by another government. Captured enemy property is just that captured and for all practical purposes becomes the property of the government doing the capturing. (unless they lose in which case they may have to pay reparations for what they captured)

But were they used for trade purposes or for domestic circulation. There are several examples of one country being made by another for trade purposes. For example the 1898 Mexican pesos we made for use in China. But is there a another case of oe county making another countries coins for their own domestic circulation use?

Actually I believe they were. When Louisiana took over the mint , and later when the Confederacy did, most if not all of the employees stayed on and continued working. It's weird but I believe for at least a little while they continued to send reports to Philadelpha even after the takeover.

I consider the coins legitimate, struck by other governments using captured enemy supplies.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  18. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

They were at war, isn't that enough

19. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

Louisiana seceded on Jan 26, 1861, the war officially broke out on the attack of Fort Sumter April 12, 1861, so technically both the State and Confederate minted coins before the war which continued for only a few weeks more until the bullion ran out.

The employees did stay on after Louisiana seceded, but as State employees.

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The Russians minting the Netherlands ducats was absolutely nothing even remotely similar to the 1898 Mexican peso re-strikes. In the first place the 1898 re-strikes were minted by both US mints and Mexican mints to supply the govt. in China with coins because the nationalist govt. in China did not have the ability to mint coins themselves. And the Mexican mint supplied the US mints with the dies to strike the coins. In other words, the Mexican govt. not only gave the US Mint permission to strike these coins, they helped the US Mint do so. So, those coins were not counterfeit.

The Russian govt. however made their own dies for the Netherlands ducats from scratch, and then minted the coins. And made new dies every year so their counterfeits would match the genuine coins. And they did so in secret, not only in secret from the Netherlands govt., but in secret from their own Russian citizens. They even used code words to describe the coins in the Russian mint documents to maintain the secrecy.

The Russians quite intentionally counterfeited the coins of another country, and then passed those counterfeits off as coins having been minted by the Netherlands. If anyone had known the coins were being minted by the Russians the coins never would have been accepted.

And that was the whole point of the Russian govt. minting the counterfeits. Their own coins were often not accepted. Netherlands gold ducats however, because of their reputation were readily accepted, without question, worldwide. And they were used in many countries in place of that country's own coins. And that's exactly what the Russians needed - coins that would be readily accepted anywhere.

Now in the beginning the Netherlands wasn't even aware that the Russians were counterfeiting their coins. The secret was kept for 100 years or more. Then when the Netherlands found out, they made repeated, formal diplomatic requests to the Russian govt. to stop counterfeiting their coins. The Russians refused to do so. To combat the Russians the Netherlands themselves finally stopped minting the gold ducats in 1849. To counter this effort the Russians merely dated all of their counterfeits with the same date - 1849. And continued minting coins with that date until 1868, when they finally stopped.

NOS likes this.
  21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

GDJMSP, after the Russian Revolution the USSR took over the Goznak facility in Sankt Peterburg, later Petrograd, then Leningrad and continued minting Tsar Nikolai II 10 rubles in gold dated 1911 well into the very late 1920s and possibly into the 30s as they were using them as payments for international goods. Official mintage reports from 1911 report 50K coins being minted, but there are far more out there even after all the melts etc. For domestic consumption only, well in theory, the Soviets had Chervonetz coins minted 1923-25 -but they were more for show than for actual circulation. Basically they were minted to give the appearance of a gold backed ruble after some 5-6 years of inflation and redenominations of the currency. Silver coinage did circulate but only until 1932 then Stalin made the ruble the first "fiat" currency - in theory it was backed by gold ie the gold ruble, but in practice it was backed by the full faith and pledge of the Soviet workers.

NOS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted