"Conserving" vs. "Cleaning" - Do I Have It Right?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kanga, May 3, 2022.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Based on a recent post I find I need to get a definitive answer to the
    "Conserving" verses "Cleaning" coins topic.

My DEFINITIONS:
    -- "Conserving" is a positive. It only interacts with debris on a coin's surface.
    -- "Cleaning" is a negative. It works on the results of the interaction of the coining metal and environmental conditions (such as oxidation).

As I understand it, "conserving" a coin does not alter a coin's surfaces.
    It will just remove extraneous debris.
    Acetone dips fit in this category.

On the other hand, as I understand it, "cleaning" will alter a coin's surfaces.
    Verdicare fits in this category.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's close, but not identical, to my definition. To me:

"Conserving" is a positive, because it removes debris or contaminants that obscure a coin's true surface, and often protects the coin from further damage.

"Improper cleaning" disturbs the coin's surface -- it removes or distorts metal.

"Cleaning" can be conservation, or can be improper.

A dip (to remove ugly toning) can count as conservation, even though part of what it's removing was originally coin metal. If you want to call that "damage", okay, but the "damage" happened during the toning process.

I do NOT consider using VerdiCare to be improper cleaning. It removes a substance that hides the coin's surface, and potentially protects against further damage. It certainly doesn't undo the damage verdigris has already done, but it doesn't cause any further damage itself.

VerdiCare also leaves something behind on the coin. I'm of two minds about this, but (a) that layer doesn't further attack the coin's surface, (b) it doesn't obscure the coin's surface, and (c) it's easy enough to remove later (as I understand it).

4. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I think those are reasonable definitions. I have never left a coin in Verdicare to see if it affects the coin's surface, but long enough to neutralize the organic activity. So undecided if that shifts from conserving to cleaning. MS70 seems to fit your cleaning definition...yet I hear that it's an acceptable solution for conservation and the TPG's won't gig folks for it. Not sure that is the case either, but seems like acetone and DI water are the conservative tools to use.

Our fellow Ancient's Collectors might have some wisdom to share.

5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Ah...Jeff chimed in during the writing. Yes...that seems to align with my understanding of Verdicare.

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Personal definitions are fine as long as you understand that:

CONSERVATION IS some form of CLEANING!!! ;) No exceptions.

The only difference is if the cleaning (conservation) was done in such a way that the coin was preserved with acceptable eye appeal and originality.

:yawn: Now I'll wait for some :stinkyfeet::troll: to point out that putting a raw coin into a container to protect it is also a form of conservation....which it is. o_O:p

7. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Putting a raw coin into a container to protect it is also a form of conservation.

YW.

8. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I have Verdicare, I was on a waiting list and picked up a bottle from Wizard, but I'm still afraid to use it, lol. Not sure how actually. I did soak an SLQ in acetone overnight once. That was kind of neat. I then submitted it and it came back straight graded, so that was a relief.

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If you can tell something was done to the coin, that is "cleaning" (i.e. harsh cleaning) if you can't tell, that's "conservation".

Cheech9712, harrync, serafino and 5 others like this.
  10. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Why?

charley likes this.
  11. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Simply put. Bravo!

12. charley

charley Well-Known Member

You know, now that I think about it, I don't know. Maybe it is the Tupperware.

Cheech9712 and Dynoking like this.
  13. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

"Conserved" = you did it right.
    "Cleaned" = you did it wrong.

Cheech9712, coin_nut, harrync and 6 others like this.
  14. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I like the "Improper" descriptor.
    Many (mostly older) coins have been cleaned but are allowed to re-tone and thus get a straight grade.
    The "Improper" descriptor is generally used when abrasive cleaning was involved.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

We always have to remember that there are two types of cleaning - proper cleaning and improper/harsh cleaning. It is extremely important to always make that distinction whenever using the word/s "clean, cleaned, cleaning".

And conservation is nothing more than a euphemism for proper cleaning. Proper cleaning and conservation are one and the same !

16. Howard Ryan

Howard Ryan Member

I'm pretty sure you don't use acetone on Zinc, maybe I'm wrong though.

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I've seen people here say that they've used acetone on zinc coins without problems. But I've seen lots of people say they've used it on copper without problems, and that turns into a circus, the people who've seen problems arguing with those who say it can't possibly cause problems unless you do something perverse. :rolleyes:

Kentucky, jamor1960 and UncleScroge like this.
  18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

To clean or not to clean that is the question! NO

19. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Accurate, concise and clear.

Cheech9712 and Kentucky like this.
  20. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Sounds like, if you ran a stop and got caught, you ran a stop...if you didn't get caught, you didn't run a stop...:woot::woot::woot:

Cheech9712 and harrync like this.
  21. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Close. In both cases you ran the stop sign. In both cases the coin was cleaned. If you didn't get caught or the cleaning goes undetected you are a winner. :oops: As long as you didn't have an accident after running the stop sign.

serafino and Kentucky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted