Consecutive strike through errors??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SPP Ottawa, Nov 17, 2015.

1. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

I just got some error coins back from PCGS, and I was admiring this one (bought it in 2014).

http://www.pcgs.com/cert/32839554

Then, I added to my PCGS Collectors Showcase set of Canadian nickel dollar errors and in the process of putting it in proper chronological order, I noticed that my other major strike through error was not only the same year, but almost identical (bought it in 2011).

http://www.pcgs.com/cert/26645608

There has to be a relationship between these two error strikes, the coincidence is far to unlikely to be random...

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Same employee signature?

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That's pretty amazing. They are both the same but the question is Struck-Thru what? Maybe a piece of cloth or some material caught on the die on that exact spot? This could remain a mystery.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

strange, and very interesting

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@SPP Ottawa

They are two different strikethrough's. Note the depression above the "N" of CANADA.

Chris

7. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Chris, could it have evolved, as the item being 'struck through' was flattening out??

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Seems too cute to be a coincidence. I'm minded of a slice of sheet metal stuck to the die, and there are probably more out there like yours.

eddiespin likes this.
  9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's a "sticker" and it repeated until it dislodged. A little grease in the right place and a piece of cloth and that's all it takes.

10. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

Chris,

Any die markers that would indicate the same pair?

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted