Connecticut Copper 1787

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ancientnoob, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Hello All,
    Coming from the ancient coin board, I really wanted a decent coin of the homeland. I managed to acquire this piece. I know with the grade is important. I looked at a few examples across a range of grades and I was trying to grade this one myself. I came up with a VF 30 - what do you all think?

North America
    Continental Confederation
    State of Connecticut
    Copper Cent (s.1787)
    29.9 mm x 9.08 grams (140 grains)
    Obverse: Laureate bust of a man left - Latin Legend AUCTORI CONNEC
    Reverse: Liberty Seated on globe holding an olive branch holding Spear resting on shield. Latin Legend INDE ET LIB
    Ref: CSC Miller 4-L.
    Note: Silky Brown Patina.

1787CTc.jpg

ThinnPikkins, Jwt708, NSP and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

4. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I'd give this a VF20 - VF30.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

VF-20 Max and corroded. Your coin is probably genuine; however, there are several perfectly round holes on it. Corrosion rarely does this. Coins should not be authenticated by photos so don't worry about it. Just make sure the edge is rounded and smooth - no cast seam or file marks. :cigar:

Ancientnoob likes this.
  6. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I would put it in that vf20 to vf30 range on sharpness, net about half, so somewhere around vf20 net 10 or vf30 net 15. I have a couple of these and find them tough to grade due to the large variance in dies used. There is no single design element I can check for wear as the high points changed from variety to variety. With that said, I think closer to 30, there is hair detail on the obverse and some face detail on Liberty.

Insider and Ancientnoob like this.
  7. Ancientnoob

I'm not worried about authentication. I am 1000% sure it is real, well a counterfeit from the get-go. There are no perfectly round holes- and no active corrosion.

Thanks @jester3681 noted and nice Fugio.

jester3681 likes this.
  8. Ancientnoob

Good assessment. I was leaning towards 30 - I can image these being tough to grade just flipping through the internet some graded examples in the AU50 range are quite well, "butt."

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_c...787_ct_coppers/1787_ct_copper_miller_04_L.htm

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Ditto Beef! NET 15...and I must be mistaken about the 7+ perfectly round holes I see as I don't have the coin here. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

10. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I do love the history in this series, I just wish they were a touch more affordable... I considered trying for a variety set but gave up after calculating the total costs.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  11. Ancientnoob

I am actually considering trying to put together a set of 1 from each of the 13 original colonies. I haven't investigated if all 13 produced coinage, or how affordable it would be but it is a good thought.

12. $ignofthedollar

$ignofthedollar Well-Known Member

Very nice!!!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  13. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Not all of the states produced coinage. New Hampshire [ pretty much unobtainable], Connecticut, Vermont, New Jersey and Massachusetts produced official coinage. Virginia authorized coinage while still a colony. There were unofficial coinages in some of the other states. Many are quite affordable.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  14. Ancientnoob

Thanks all for your contributions to this thread.

I really wanted to experiment with the photo, this one I believe to be more accurate.
    1787E.jpg

Jwt708 likes this.
  15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Something I struggle with is getting the coin lit bright enough. I think your second photo may be too dark.

Just trying to give some constructive feedback.

I need to get back to photographing my coins...

Ancientnoob likes this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Silky brown patina???

Ancientnoob likes this.
  17. Ancientnoob

I managed to acquire the text on these coins relatively inexpensively. I read it and its very interesting.

2016-07-14 14.16.02.jpg

jester3681, Jwt708 and NSP like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted