confused on 82s

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by macdaddy76442, Mar 29, 2017.

1. macdaddy76442

macdaddy76442 Member

hi all,,,,,,

im confused a little on wchich 82 cent is the rare one,,, can someone share a little knowledge on this?????:writer:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

They're all generally considered rare or at least uncommon but the zinc varieties are the rarest of them all. This is due to the fact they weren't saved in as much quantity as the copper ones. As a result of this, uncirculated rolls of zinc 1982 cents will set you back a pretty penny. This contrasts with the fact that the same kinds of rolls from 1981 are quite affordable and much more easily attainable. Between the copper and zinc varieties and different mints, I think there are seven varieties of the 1982 cent that were produced.

Cwbyfrmhllxx and tommyc03 like this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Agreed with above, not to mention that the zinc varieties are also very difficult to find in original rolls without tarnish and other nasty discoloration.

Cwbyfrmhllxx likes this.
  5. macdaddy76442

macdaddy76442 Member

6. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Cwbyfrmhllxx likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I thought they found a second one?
    The 1982 cent is not rare by any means. It is the highest minted cent in the history of US coins. Almost 17 BILLION 1982 cents out there.
    Not including the S proof, the most desirable one is 1982 Philly small date zinc.

8. Cwbyfrmhllxx

Cwbyfrmhllxx Member

Only 1 1982 I have.Question which CAM or WAM was the 1995 or 1999 penny?

Attached Files:

9. MontCollector

Welcome To CT!!!

Your 1982 looks to be a Philly Small date.

On the WAM's and CAM's you can find some good info here

http://lincolncentresource.com/wideams.html

Hope that clears it up for ya.

Cwbyfrmhllxx likes this.
  10. Cwbyfrmhllxx

Cwbyfrmhllxx Member

Ty for the welcome :)

11. Michael K

That photo in post 7 is a large date.

Cwbyfrmhllxx likes this.
  12. MontCollector

Whoop I stand corrected.:shame: The "snowman" 8 got me again. Your right the bottom of the 2 is fat and closer to the rim...DOH!

Cwbyfrmhllxx likes this.
  13. Michael K

Easy for me to tell by the shape of the 2. The small date has a fully formed, delicate 2 and the large date has the sloppy 2.
    index.jpg

14. Cwbyfrmhllxx

Cwbyfrmhllxx Member

I see Very Helpfull Thanks!! :)

Michael K likes this.
  15. RyanTx

RyanTx Member

I'm collecting these as well. I have a 82D Small date Zinc and a 82D Large Date Zinc plus the common copper large dates. My favorite copper is a large date that the obverse side was struck off center.

16. Cwbyfrmhllxx

Cwbyfrmhllxx Member

Hi all, Just carrying on this page since I asked about WAM's and CAM's .Do any look like CM? I can make larger ty in advance.

17. MontCollector

There are no known WAM's for the 1995 P&D LMC's. They are supposed to be CAM's

WAM's (Wide AM) refer to 98-2000 P&D LMC Business strikes. These were all supposed to have the CAM reverse but some got the WAM reverse instead. Of these I Believe the 99 WAM is the rarest.

CAM's (Close AM) refer to the 1992 business strike cents. They changed reverses in 1993 to the CAM but some 1992 Got the 1993 reverse by mistake. The 1992-P CAM's are extremely rare and a good example can be valuable.

All LMC Proof Strike Coin are struck with the WAM Reverse. Except 1993 which ran the CAM reverse for that year only. However there was an an error 1998 and 1999 on some of the S Minted Proof Strikes. Some of these were accidentally minted with the CAM reverses of these the 1999-S Proof CAM is the rarest.

CAMS:
    1992 P&D Business Strikes
    1998 and 1999 S Proof Strikes
    Possibly the 2000 S minted proofs as well, but none have been found.

WAMS:
    1998-2000 P&D Business Strikes

Hope this clears it up for ya a little.

Keep on Hunting...Mont

Cwbyfrmhllxx likes this.
  18. Cwbyfrmhllxx

Cwbyfrmhllxx Member

Got these mixed between 92 and 99 one is a 93 to compare if I got one lol :)

Attached Files:

19. MontCollector

Since there are no dates, I can't tell which coin is which. Helps to have obverse picture with their reverses.

All I can say the dark one (Top Left) is a WAM probably your 1992, which is what it is supposed to be. The rest look like CAMS if these are after 1992 then they are normal spenders.

Edit: your question would've been answered more quickly had you made a new thread instead of asking under someone else's thread...just sayin.

Cwbyfrmhllxx likes this.
  20. Cwbyfrmhllxx

Cwbyfrmhllxx Member

I turned them over in same spot :) Thanks too!! :) Top left is the 2000 D.

Attached Files:

21. MontCollector

Umm...I don't think so.

Looking at you new pic, It looks like the Top Left in 1st picture is your 1992 the Bottom left is probably your 1993 and the 2 on the right(More luster) are your 1999 and 2000.

Cwbyfrmhllxx likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted