Confirming PMD - 1916 penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RIchard Abanes, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Hello,
    I'm a very new collector trying to train my eye for errors. I'm assuming this is PMD gouge. But what confuses me just a bit is that it is both INTO the penny, as well as RAISED above the penny surface (notice the raised edge of the gouge). Could this be a bit of the metal just raised upward by whatever hit it to make the gouge? Also, the "9" and "6" look a bit off from other better conditioned 1916 pennies. But I think it's just wear that has flatteened the 6 and shortened the inside tail of the 9. Thanks all.
    CUD01.jpg CUD02.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Copper is pretty soft for a metal and can be smooshed out or gouged easily. A gouge would just push the displaced material up, just like in your photo.

RIchard Abanes likes this.
  4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

damaged, it is hard to discern errors on coins in such a shape as this sometimes

5. Thank you, guys! I just started with wifey. We inherited coins from her dear father, who passed. And a friend gave me some as a gift. So, this is basically my real first week looking at any of them in earnest. Ordered several books and I'm reading a lot. Sooooo interesting. Makes me think about each year that I see & imagine what was happening then & who might have handled. Fascinating.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Remember , Stay away from the microscope unless your into forensics . Then go ahead , LOL . :joyful:
    A Loupe will be your friend !

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just looks like circulation damage. Welcome to CT.

8. Yeah, I like the scope for taking pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted