Confinement "To do List"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Mar 20, 2020.

1. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Bing, I thought it was considered a "miracle" when you guys beat the Soviet Union?

Alegandron and panzerman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Please do not depress me by talking about Montreal Canadians. Last time we won the Cup I was 23 years old and we made the playoffs only once in the 5 last years...

wxcoin, svessien and panzerman like this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

It was even a bigger miracle, then the 1954 Soccer World Cup, when Germany beat Hungary 3-2. Hungary was considered unbeatable at that time.
    That 1980 Olympics series, was like the USA (toy poodle) in a dog fight vs a USSR (Pit Bull)

svessien likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

In those days we used amateurs. Let any of the NHL teams have a go at the Russians (unless, of course, the NHL has to release all the Russian players to return to play for Russia).

6. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I love your presentation in the binder! I've been meaning to do something similar with mine just haven't had time to do it yet.

Enjoy the time while you have it - I would love a few weeks to tinker with my collection's organization/storage/cataloging but sadly I work a job where scrambling a damage control / business continuity plan falls squarely in my lap :( The next weeks will be late nights and weekend work, not pseudo-retirement!

7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

The Soviet Red Army Teams where professionals, they where in the Armed Forces in name only. The State paid them to train/ play ice hockey, same as Soviet Olympic athletes. The USA, team as Bing said where true amateurs. My guess is, the USSR team came in a bit cocky, thought the gold medal was wrapped up, while the Americans played their hearts out.

Alegandron, Bing and TexAg like this.
  8. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

The 1980 Olympic Hockey was the best Olympic event I ever followed. I watched the US matches and when they beat the Soviet Union in the semi-finals, well it was like I had won the Lottery. Going up 4-3 with about 10 minutes left and having to kill the clock while the USSR had all those opportunities to score - man, I thought I was going to have a heart attack! I still remember Al Michaels as the clock wound down to zero - "Do you believe in miracles - Yes!" I get goose bumps and tear up when I see the replay of the last minute of the match! Beating Finland for the Gold Medal two days later completed "The Miracle On Ice".

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That was quick; the announcement came an hour after my post. Now I really need to shovel off my desk...

10. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I had the day off today, that makes about 4,768 in a row. I have learned to keep myself busy with many sorts of nonsense chores. Yes, I am staying at home a lot more so now due to the new plague. One chore I intend to do soon is scan, not photo, all my paper money. I think that will make for flatter, better images. I keep finding errors in my spread sheets and also in the many coin pictures, so that all needs tidying up. Many of my coin pix are not so great, and need to be re done. I have considered re doing all my coin pix, making them into single image side by side rather than 2 pix, obv and rev. Reading some of the other posts, I can imagine that the world wide postal system may be not hitting on all cylinders, so perhaps time to lay off buying.

11. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

Buying now is not the good option as numismatic offices have closed or will do it first and at auction or online shop you should wait more and more for a long time (, months ? ) to have your coins as the mail services are in many countries off or with no garantee and forget about insurance for tracking as insurance company consider what happen like a war time so don’t insure postage.

Best to take time with coins in our collection and read. And if it is sunny to go in the garden.

12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Me too. Here's the latest photo, a coin too pedestrian for its own thread:

Constantine II GLORIA EXERCITVS Nicomedia reduced centenionalis.jpg
    Constantine II, Caesar, AD 317-337.
    Roman billon reduced centenionalis, 1.11 g, 14.6 mm, 11 h.
    Nicomedia, AD 336-7.
    Obv: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, bust of Constantine II, laureate, cuirassed, right.
    Rev: GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS, Two soldiers, helmeted, draped, cuirassed, standing facing each other, each holding reversed spear in outer hand and resting inner hand on shield; between them, a standard; in exergue, SMNΓ.
    Refs: RIC 200; LRBC-I 1126; Cohen 114; RCV17360.

13. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

My garden is still under a foot of snow.

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

To-Do:

- Enjoy life.

- Enjoy my extended family.
    (with today's technology, that is more easily done, though mine are global.)

- Even look at some of my coins.

I recently commented about @Mat 's recent DiDrachm capture. Made me go look at mine:

GELA AR Didrachm 490-480 BCE Horseman with spear r - Forepart of man-headed bull r.jpg
    GELA AR Didrachm 490-480 BCE Horseman with spear r - Forepart of man-headed bull r .... he kinda looks like @Nicholas Molinari ... :)

15. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

I would like to get more accomplished during these “stay at home” days. However, trying to finish a regular full time job from home and also home school a 6 year old now I actually have less time. I hope this all ends soon for the health of everyone and the mental stability of parents.

catadc, DonnaML, Theodosius and 4 others like this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

6169 days here. This site will help those who want to know:
    https://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?m1=10&d1=01&y1=2003&m2=3&d2=21&y2=2020
    They say we need to avoid depression but my prime activity planned is to review my coins, the photos both on my computer and on two backups, the entries in the database and my backup 3x5 file cards to see if each list uses each number once and only once. In the last year I have discovered a problem where I had used one number twice (usually a typo like 1234 for 1243) or forgotten to file a photo one place or another. The depressing part is realizing how many mistakes I have made. If I worked 8 hours a day on this project, it would take what seems to be forever but I don't do anything for 8 hours anymore having become a fan of four unequal naps that add up to 10 hours over sleeping eight straight. That mean that I can devote 2 hours a day to the project which will only take four times forever. That sounds like a plan I can handle.

I have found one other 'mental' problem. I find myself hesitant to work in my woodshop or clear trees from the back of the property like I would usually do because the last thing I want to do is need a trip to the emergency room (never been there; don't want to start now). That leaves cleaning up the shop, garage, attic and shed all of which are in worse shape than my coin files. Realizing that is truly depressing. I think it is time for a nap. :happy:

17. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I wish I could grow such a fearsome beard!

Roman Collector and Alegandron like this.
  18. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Best wishes for your recovery. Your binder gave me the inspiration to do something similar. But it will have to wait as I’m hunkered down in AZ and my ancients/medievals are in the SDB in Minnesota.

Steve

19. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

You are a wise man, @dougsmit, re clearing trees and woodworking. The former sent me to the ER three times (I’m a slow learner) and the latter once.

Working on coins is far safer and, sometimes, cheaper (depending on ER co-pay and what buttons you hit on your computer).

Steve

20. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

When you need to stay at home and cannot really go outside the best is to keep an agenda of 4 tasks to do everyday at a specific hours.

-jeffB likes this.
  21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I've always chafed at rules, but there are times when you really do need a set of constraints, even if they're arbitrary.

The analogy I remember is the backbone; it doesn't bend as much as we'd like, and that keeps us from doing all sorts of things, but try standing up without one.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted