Confinement "To do List"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

I'm stuck at home for 2 weeks. Got operated on Monday + the famous virus make us stay quiet. I'm worried about my mental health...usually I can't stay inactive for a long period of time. My shrink tells me it's called hyperactivity in the case of children...well I've always been young at heart. So how can I keep myself busy and not getting crazy? I made a "to do list" of numismatic activities I have procrastinated for too long :

D11DA6C6-6407-489F-801C-AC73298FE9D2.jpeg

• Photograph or rephotograph all my coins. To be honest, before being a member of Coin Talk, I didn't have any pictures of them. I keep all my collection home so why having photographs of them when I have the real thing at hand? Also I'm a bad photographer without a real camera (I use my ipad usually). But with the good advices on many threads here I'll try to do the best with what I have.
    • Classify coins in my collection. I estimate 2/3 of it is already done, but I was negligent the last few months. I already have files but they are incomplete so let's try to finish the work. 35C5E34E-A269-4A6A-BC51-D4BBBB0E30F1.jpeg
    • Verify the attribution of my recent acquisitions. Experience teach us that we can't 100% trust the descriptions of auction's houses or sellers. But sometimes I do not take the time to double check if the details given are accurate. I like to start my research like if the coins had been found directly in my backyard ( e.g. @galba68 ) C2AF0891-A744-4BB3-AC5E-6F0F7898CC5E.jpeg
    • And finally why not a bit of shopping online? I haven't surfed on Vcoins for a while and many auctions are coming soon. So I'll keep my eyes open and maybe will find a bargain somewhere...
    Now please tell me how you will be fill your spare time during those complicated days!

octavius, Sulla80, Pellinore and 37 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Good Plan @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix . Your post gave me a few ideas, I love that binder. Thank You for sharing and I hope you recover from your operation quickly. Perfect time to be home.

4. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Your notebook is a beautiful way to feature and keep track of your coins, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix !

Stevearino, tibor, Justin Lee and 2 others like this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I start my 9 days off tomorrow and also am planning on trying to get pictures of the coins I don't have pictures of yet. Perhaps building some sort of database to track them in. Trying to stay sane while home with the wife, 2 dogs, 3 kids, and 4 cats...

Probably will be on CT a lot!

6. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

All the above! As well as catching up on loads of books.

7. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

I need to attribute some recent purchases from the Atlanta ANA show. I’m also removing my coins from an album and placing in the standard 2x2 red Guardhouse boxes. Album was just getting too heavy for everything.

For anyone staying at home I suggest getting outside for a 15-30 minute walk each day. It’s good for your mental health as much as your physical health. Don’t worry, if you see other people you can still remain at the preferred social distance.

8. furryfrog02

I have noticed a lot more people out walking which is great.
    Add it to the list of good things coming from this pandemic.

Johndakerftw, BenSi, TIF and 4 others like this.
  9. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Good list! That should take some time for you. If you still have more time, how about writing a background story on each coin? And then you can decide to post your story here or not. I promise i will like your stories!

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've been spending my extra time at home. I too have many photos to take of new coins. I am waiting for coins to come in the mail & of course, I have been shopping extra too.

I was in a dry spell with coin buying but now it seems to be feast over famine.

I wonder if we all will be seeing many coins for sale as days and weeks go & people need $ to eat or pay bills.

Theodosius and Deacon Ray like this.
  11. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

For coins doing like checking them you and trying to learn coin photography.

But I will not buy coins during this time as postal delivery to Europe is too chaotic particularly because flights even by DHL or FEDEX... got 500 usd in a safe in a famous auction house that can’t deliver my coins waiting for better safe time to do It.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  12. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Good idea. But I'm warning everyone here: they may be funny and weird stories while I'm still with my best friend morphine...:hungover:

Pellinore, galba68, SmokinJoe and 7 others like this.
  13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Take care of yourself, we enjoy your posts!

14. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

1) Cleaning up my desk area (double checking loose coins, upgrading duplicate tubes, working on Foreign Album, just organizing in general),
    2) Spraying my yard for weeds,
    3) Finishing up my tax return (I'm getting some money back, yeah!),
    4) Dumping coins via the "Commercial Lane" window,
    5) Going for walks around the neighborhood (my gym just announced it's closing until April 3rd),
    6) Looking for coins to have graded, lol,
    7) Spending more time on CT!

15. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I'm retired so staying at home is normal; especially in the winter. When I'm stuck inside for much of the time I spend a lot of time looking at items in online auctions and comparing coins in them to ones in previous auctions. I find it helpful to find those "special" examples that don't come up for auction very often, even though they aren't a true rarity. Would "cherrypicking" have been easier to say? I make it a point to avoid total cabin fever by putting on my coat and boots and go outside several times a day for a walk. I think this is a must!

16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Staying inside and managing my portfolio. I have 4 screens on the nasdaq, s&p 500, futures, and the Dow. Since I work at home when I am not meeting with clients it isn't that bad but I miss being able to go out to restaurants, stores, etc. I'm thinking of re-organizing my coins as well, either alphabetically or by date. Then there is yard work, etc. My 9 year old nephew stayed at my house yesterday because his school has been canceled through the end of the school year, so hard to get stuff done.

BenSi likes this.
  17. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Do you think we are we nearing bottom in the market?

18. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Not sure. I'm afraid there's a ways to go until we hit rock bottom. Of course, there will be low price "buying opportunities" when it makes sense to invest.

Johnnie Black and BenSi like this.
  19. furryfrog02

I think once more states start seriously shutting down, things are going to get a lot worse. I don't think we've hit the bottom yet.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  20. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling we are going to experience a "V" shaped (steep down and steep back up) recovery. When we will hit the bottom is very hard to predict, but I think the recovery to say S&P = 3,000 will take longer than the time it took to go down to the bottom, and from there it will take awhile to get back to 3,200 and above.

Once the crisis is over, many will realize that the stock of many corporations is undervalued, and they will want to jump back into the market, accelerating the upside move.

Johnnie Black likes this.
  21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Maybe. But a lot of small businesses (and even some chains) that have been shut down may not be able to come back, and there's going to be a BIG employment shock. I don't see the right-hand side of this "V" standing up very straight at all. :(

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted