Confessions of a Wannabee

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Arizona Jack, May 5, 2010.

1. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

After reading this thread I think I need to tell you that you are so far from a wannabe or poser it's not funny. I think you should look at it as "scaling back" your hobby...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

LOL ! Not sure how to take that Jack. As I recall, "you won" when we flipped for dinner that night - and you paid the bill !

So if that's how you define winning pal, you might wanna keep that thing in your pocket :D

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Jack, You always struck me as a collector in a dealer's clothes. Sad to hear you've taken off your costume, but have to believe it's for the best. Good luck and I hope you find happiness in your decision...MIke

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Best of luck!

Of course if you have any Barbers left............

J/K of course --- Doug.

[not.]

;)

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Good to see you posting Jack. Sent you a PM when you get a chance to check.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

[​IMG]

8. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Just glad to see you back on the site. Are you even going to put the website backup? I mean you don't have to work the shows, but could still sell inventory on the website.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Ah, figgered.

See ya at High noon?

10. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

Jack, I posted some of my comments on the other thread but feel like this is more home to both you and me, so I can be even more mushy! You are one of the sweetest, generous, kindest, honest, fun-loving coin guys I've met, and I will truly miss seeing and hanging out with you on the "circuit" (or circus, whichever you prefer!).

The only saving grace is that you haven't left coins all together so perhaps our paths will still cross and we can drum up another late-night beer/wine filled evening of poker and friends. That night at Rick's B&B with the young-uns was a blast and very memorable, especially when you passed out all those lizard glasses! And it was wonderful hearing you sing and play your guitar at that yummy Mexican restaurant at the Tucson show last year.

There are so many fond and fun memories on the show circuit that include you and had nothing to do with coins. But we had some great coin deals too. I will always think of you whenever I look at my 1924-D! You're the best, and I look forward to seeing you again - soon!

11. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

I attended a Long Beach show thanks to Jack's generosity all. Had a BALL and will always thank you for that my friend.
    BTW do you need any teabags? I still carry my own around with me. ;)

As for what Jack has to say about dealers working HARD he is spot on. Many of our customers where I work do shows. Some more than others and the amount of running they do just locally is insane.

Eventually I intend to do shows but not on a major scale. VERY local and when I feel like it not as a living.

I see how hard it is to survive in the business from the brick and mortar end because, as most of you know, I work in a shop.
    I do not refer to myself as a dealer because I am not. I sell coins that aren't mine. I work for a dealer.

In the long run the big headaches belong to the boss. He hired me and my co worker (who has worked for him for years) to help alleviate the headaches.

My boss has another shop that is run by one person. That makes three full time coin people. We also have two part time jewelry people and a once a week stamp lady.

My boss may be cranky and downright rude at times but I'll always give him this much. He worked his tail off to get to this point.

Kudos to anyone that does it for a living and manages to maintain any semblance of sanity. I fit in well as I was not totally sane when I started there. ;)

12. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

Jack - I've always enjoyed reading your threads and hope to see more now that you are freeing yourself from the stresses of the biz. I can't wait to see your budding SLQ collection as it unfolds. Congrats on making a tough decision and you'll be happier for it!

13. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Awww Heck. Everyone has already said everything.

You're a firecracker. From your first posts on Cointalk until this latest post, you were interesting. You were someone to tune into.

Some people have the magic. You certainly do.

I'd wish you the best of luck in your other ventures, but I'm guessing you're not relying on "luck".

<Smileys><Smileys><Smileys><Smileys><Smileys><Smileys><Smileys>

14. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Charmy
    Kinder words could not have been said. You make me blush, lol. You are my big sis in this crazy coin world, I could not think of a better person than you. You have truly been my bestest coin friend, and a great one at that. Rick is also there as an important mentor and poker opponent. Charmy, you rock, and my wife Sheila adores you too, thats counts alot.....she can smell a rat and fell in love with you right away, your good peeps.

All the rest of you, rock-on. I'll be around. I have never left, just readjusted my sights a bit :)

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Hey Jack, don't be a stranger. We all love ya here......

Draft saved Draft deleted