Confession Time... What was you biggest collecting blunder?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by FBLfinder, Sep 21, 2017.

1. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

Was just in the us coin threads and read about how somebody's son just picked up a knock off morgan for $100 that would been over $5k, as long ask you could catch the date and it made me think of my biggest mistake while collecting. I know we have all done it once and now it is time to share and hopefully make some else feel better knowing atleast you didn't make as big a mistake as the last schmuck. Lets see if anyone can top this one and get me laughing.

I will no longer buy from EBTH.com because of this blunder. It was two auctions for MS64 1858 and 1858o. I thought I was getting the deal of a collector's lifetime, but then again so did somebody's son, and picked up both for $900. I had everything worked out, pick both up and sell one to help on the cost of the one I was going to keep. So excited to get those in the mail. I was checking the mail box everyday like a little kid getting his mail-in cereal box proof of purchase toy to get the same reaction. "What are these pieces of polished turds?" All nice and cleaned just how we never want them so there goes the helping on the cost idea and now I have not one, but two shined seated liberty halves.

And go......

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I'd never heard of that site. For me, "estate auctions" on line always signal potential trouble.

4. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

I did snag a couple nice coins like this one but it is definitely the site where bad coins go to die.

2017-09-22 00.24.33.jpg

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I only buy in hand coins, most are bought upon a modest price,
    I refuse to buy a photo. I am only human though, and have bought many an educational piece.

FBLfinder and Paddy54 like this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The one and only time I bought a counterfeit, a 1740 8 reales.

FBLfinder likes this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I feel like my U.S. collection is mistake! Haha!

My biggest mistake was feeling safe and secure in my token collection and buying a fake token.

Bien Hoa AB $5 FAKE.jpg

Purchased from a sale with bad pictures. In hand there are so many things wrong with this "token" and it's my reminder to remain vigilant.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I bought a counterfeit 1738 8 reales with Portuguese counterstamp. The seller offered to buy it back, even though the return period was past, but I wanted to keep it to show people, so I asked for a 50% return that he agreed to. He got suckered too once upon a time. It taught me a lot about him too - great guy to stand behind what he sold.

Draft saved Draft deleted