Confederate Stonewall Jackson Medal

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LostDutchman, Aug 14, 2014.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Here is a really neat piece that I picked up this week. This was a confederate propaganda medal minted in 1864 but not sold until 1894 by the Daughters of confederate veterans. I have an original ad for the sale of these pieces also.

IMG_5998.JPG IMG_5999.JPG IMG_5848.JPG IMG_5849.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The ad is as neat as the medal.

LostDutchman likes this.
  4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That is really cool.

LostDutchman likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Sorry that I couldn't see you at the ANA, perhaps next year?

LostDutchman likes this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

May I ask why this is a "Propaganda medal"? I see nothing biased or misleading about it.

It is fantastic, by the way... ;)

7. Treashunt

To encourage the South to hold on?

[original date was 1864, per Matt]

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Thank you, but please allow me to rephrase: is "propaganda medal" just a name used to describe items of this general nature?

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I wonder if they were ordered in 1864 and not delivered until after the war? They appear to have been minted in France. Has lots and lots of kewl factor.

10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very cool. That toning...

11. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

12. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

that's a very interesting medal and advertisement. I am curious, what is the evidence that it was struck in 1864? I would think that it's more likely that it is a post-war piece created during the "Lost Cause" nostalgia craze.
    Just speculating. (Factoid: one of my patients is the oldest living daughter of a Confederate veteran. )

13. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I would love to have one! Nice!

14. Treashunt

As per the advertisement:
    'They were brought to the south ... and lay in an old Savannah warehouse for nearly 30 years'

15. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

The only thing missing is that the old Savannah warehouse was owned by Granddaddy.

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

17. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

An interesting read, and a very cool medal. Thanks for posting.

C'dude

18. Whipps

Whipps Well-Known Member

I love this piece. What could cause the toning to appear as shadows cast toward the edge?

19. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Why are so many of the battles referred to by their Union names? Bull Run rather than Manassas, Chantilly instead of Ox Hill, Antietam over Sharpsburg? No self-respecting Confederate officer would have used those names. Then of course, there is the Battle of The Wilderness which took place after Jackson's death.

Combine this with the fact that the bust looks more like Lincoln than it resembles Jackson and one is almost forced to ask who commissioned this medal?

Pere likes this.
  20. Paul P Price

Paul P Price New Member

I own the Unique Obverse Hub that was used to make the die for the Confederate Stonewall Jackson Medal. I have owned 3 medals and currently only have one. I would like to find the Reverse Hub. Pretty cool Confederate Era item. If anyone knows where it is please contact me. (Address removed; use PM/Conversation please.) Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted