Confederate States of America Civil War traders' tokens.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Aidan Work, Jan 25, 2007.

1. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

Anyone here got some pics ??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Unfortunatly no one has managed to find any yet other than the union ones that is LOL

4. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

Good point. Sorry this thread got hijacked. It's just that race is and has been a very sensative issue here in the USA. For those members overseas, it is probably hard to understand.

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Gopher29,we also have a troubled race relations history over here in New Zealand,but I am not prepared to discuss this in this section.

This section is for numismatic discussion,not a forum for political ranting.

Aidan.

6. George Corell

George Corell Member

For anybody interested, Aug 15 @ 3:00 at the ANA show in Chicago I will be giving a ptesentation on "Confederate Coins, the myths and realities". you are all invited.

I will touch on the subject of tokens used as money or as I call them, The Confederate Orphan Coins."

7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I'll come out of of respect to a fellow CWT collector. It's a very narrow field since most tokens are from the north. I'm sure I'll learn something very new to what I know.

George Corell likes this.
  8. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

I see that I never did post photos of the tokens I mentioned years ago. Most of those I never did take photos of, but I do have photos of a counterstamped token from the only Civil War merchant listed from Louisiana. This is a case where post mint damage has increased the value of the coin by mulitudes, and I'm sure I paid more than what most would imagine. J.B. Schiller was proprietor of the Sazerac Coffee House in New Orleans. The reverse X indicated a value of 10 cents.
    Schiller Obv.JPG Schiller Rev.JPG

Gallienus likes this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Counterstamped token?

How about Counterstamped coin?

Or a coin made into a ten cent token?

10. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

I could agree with the second and third options. While the Fulds did not list this token in their Civil War Store Card book, Kanzinger listed it in his with an R8 rarity. I see that the new Civil War Store Card book has revised the token to an R7 rarity. The id number is LA670A-1do.

11. Virginia Young

Virginia Young New Member

i have a 1860n coin says the wealth of south on one side and its silver looking anyone know value

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Since that date is pre-Civil War, it might be a Hard Times Token. Is the "n" supposed to be a mint mark?

13. norenxaq

norenxaq Active Member

wealth of the south tokens are considered civil war despite date and not being minted in the south

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Try posting a photo for opinions

15. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

When was this J.B. Schiller the proprietor of this establishment? The token may have been made prior to secession early in 1861 or after New Orleans was back under Union control, April of 1862. It may not be accurate to call this store token a Confederate token if issued before secession or after its return to US authority. Frankly, given the industrial capacity of the South I am rather doubtful that any Confederate tokens were made (in the Confederacy, anyway) during the war. Confederate shinplasters in paper covered all the small denominations for small change and the metals used in these tokens, especially brass, had a far more important use (percussions caps) than store or patriotic tokens. Keep in mind that almost anything that gets labelled Confederate, bayonets, muskets, swords, belt buckles, cartridge boxes, soldier ID discs, has much greater market value than otherwise and I am skeptical about anything that is labelled as being from the Southern Confederacy. There are certain countries that have discovered that one can take 10 cents worth of brass and transmogrify it into a hundred dollars of worth of collectible antiquity faster than a chicken on a June bug.

16. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

kevin McGonigal likes this.
  17. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted