Confederate Stares 500 dollars!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Chopperhead, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Chopperhead

Chopperhead Member

Hey all, I have two of these, are they real? Any input on how to tell if fake, greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

From what I can tell... yes, they do look real but, I’m not a coin nor paper money expert... maybe @SteveInTampa can help

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Brittle looking, parchment-like paper?

One-sided printing?

Sorry, they look like tourist replicas to me.

Do note that I am not a currency guy, though, so take my admonition with the proverbial grain of salt.

I think they're bad, but I could be wrong.

5. DarkRage666

I thought confederate notes are one sided?

6. lordmarcovan

I don't think so. Not the ones I've had, (*as far as I can remember). Maybe there were some types that were uniface, but I don't know.

Those one-sided notes on stiff, crinkly parchment, however, are a common item at museum and state park gift shops, I know. Seen plenty of 'em.

Though not a currency collector and thus out of my depth a bit, I would say I'm 90% confident these are fake. (*But I will stand corrected if I'm wrong.)

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Sometimes but the paper type gives it away

lordmarcovan and SensibleSal66 like this.
  8. DarkRage666

Okay... that’s new info I didn’t know! Thanks!

9. lordmarcovan

It's been a long time since I had any CSA currency, so I honestly don't remember.

Then again, I just did remember that I had this piece until about a year ago, and it is uniface. But it's a Richmond city issue (not CSA) and a fractional denomination (cents, not dollars). Small. So it may be a whole different thing.

But it was printed on soft paper with a high cloth content. Not that crinkly yellowish parchment that you see the gift shop repros done on. Note the faded ink and evidence of wear, as well.

(*Side note: they sure loved those "letters made out of logs" fonts in the 1860s and 1870s.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. lettow

lettow Senior Member

They are copies printed by the Historical Products Company of Philadelphia.

The serial number is on the bogus not list on Cutchfield Currency.

11. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

furryfrog02 likes this.
  12. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Did they have the technology at that time to print the signature? Or, was each piece individually signed?

13. lordmarcovan

I'll bet they had the technology, but all the notes I've seen from the period still had handwritten signatures. Note my Richmond city 75c example, above.

Inspector43 likes this.
  14. DarkRage666

All you need is a stamp... right? Ancient technology.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Tourism notes for souvenirs.

16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

One of the cooler CSA note collections that I have seen was where one note was signed and the signature ran off the note and the collector had the matching note that the signature ran over onto. They were a perfect match.

17. Collecting Nut

Each note was hand signed by 2 people. The serial numbers were also written. The serial numbers were also written by hand. This best describes what I'm saying. The signature on the top bill for the Treasurer goes well into the bottom bill. The serial number is the same on both bills, which was common but note the numbervon the bottom bill is an error as the last digit is missing. The top bill is plate number 5 and the bottom bill is plate number 6. The back of both bills is totally blank, also normal.
    IMG_2893.JPG

18. Collecting Nut

@Randy Abercrombie I was typing while you posted this. Here it is again. Lol

19. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Are those yours, Dave??? They are super cool!!

Inspector43 likes this.
  20. Chopperhead

Chopperhead Member

Hey, now i am getting confused, is it a def FAKE or not sure. I have a buyer fir 5 bucks just as collectibles for his grandkids, but if they are real, worth alot more. Is rhere anything on the bills, i could get a better pic on, or is this for sure FAKE. Thanks everyone, for chiming in. Even though i get confused, i love learning from you all. Yes. Paper is VERY yellow and brittle, edges almost appear singed.

21. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

@Chopperhead , definitely replicas, reproductions, fake, not authentic and not genuine Confederate issued paper money.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted