Confederate Note Serial Number Query

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Randy Abercrombie, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Odd thing that Has just occurred to me and now I have to wonder what the intent was…. Not long ago @Collecting Nut posted two confederate notes where the leg on the number “9” was so exaggerated that it went a third of the way into the second note which he also had. It was a cool anomaly.

Today I posted one of my confederate notes in a different thread and looking at the photo the exaggerated leg of the number 9 caught my attention. So I pulled my other notes and in fact they all have the same extra long leg on the number 9.

So now I am wondering what the intent was. Was it simply a writing style of the period or was there some other significance to exaggerating the number like this? Perhaps an authentication method for the signer or something?

E546FC5E-6E25-42DE-ABF2-A4ED4EF070B1.png
    8057ECE8-10DD-4FB3-B8E7-FAE975E86CA7.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I'm going with personal style in the 'authors' penmanship.

NOS, Kentucky, Inspector43 and 3 others like this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, nothing special. See above.

5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Looks like somebody wrote their 9's similar to my own.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It was just something they did for the most part during that time period.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I know little to nothing about Confederate currency, but a long-stroke 9 (or 7) is not so unusual in old pen-and-ink handwriting.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Randy, I should also mention that while this was a common way of writing you should look at the 2 signatures on the note. Some of the letters took a long sweeping drop into the note that was below. The sheet was uncut so an F or a J for instance may be on the note below.

I just bought 4 more CSA notes, I still have one to pay for and pick up and I have 3 that I’ve recently purchased but haven’t done anything with yet.

I never did get through all those boxes and yesterday I found 7 more boxes. I can’t wait to see what’s inside but wait I will. I’m just to busy in retirement and the knee doesn’t help.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted