Confederate coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by man2004, Nov 27, 2018.

1. man2004

man2004 Active Member

The attached photos of “confederate” coins were emailed to me yesterday by a family friend. I plan to ask for a few photos of individual coins in order to view the actual coins. Are these likely civil war tokens? I’m not familiar with “confederate” coins. Perhaps “Baker 477” could be a clue! I’ll try to post any other pictures that I receive in the next few days. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

We are going to need close ups of individual coins to be able to give any good information

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  4. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I believe that these are Civil War tokens.

:)

Oldhoopster likes this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i can't see what you have there, but other than a some samples , the Confederacy didn't issue coins...

Alegandron likes this.
  6. man2004

man2004 Active Member

Thank you! I requested a few close up photos. I’ll post them once they are available.

7. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Well, not in mass production, I heard there is a confederate half and dollor flaoting around

8. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Part of the mintage of the 1861-O half dollar was struck under CSA administration. But the other Confederate coins were not mass-produced and only a few extremely rare examples exist. I'm pretty sure the coins in the picture are Civil War tokens, but better pics will confirm.

ominus1 likes this.
  9. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I attached the photos I received today. I rotated and duplicated the last one because the coin was rotated. They look like civil war tokens to me. Do they have much value?

Attached Files:

10. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I just found this on the NGC website. See attached.

Attached Files:

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They are civil war tokens, they were issued by merchants in the north. The numbers at the top of the 2X2's refer to obv and rev die numbers in the Fuld book on Patriotic Civil War Tokens. The Baker numbers refer to a different work, by Baker, on medallic images of George Washington. Each of those tokens will have either a bust or equestrian statue of Washington on it. How much value they have will be dependent on the particular die pairing, the composition, and the condition.

mac266 likes this.
  12. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I believe all of the coins are labeled R1 (low rarity). So, I believe the value is $25 (Unc) or less. Please correct me if I am wrong.

13. jrw711

jrw711 Member

I agree. They are very nice civil war patriotic tokens and are lower rarity tokens, R-1 or so.

14. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Pics are too small to see. Perhaps you can post photos of a few coins at a time so we can see what you have.

15. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

All of the 1861-D gold dollars were struck under CSA administration. Not sure whether that falls into the mass-produced category or the "extremely rare" category, but considering the Dahlonega mint never had very high mintages, I'm going with the former.

Draft saved Draft deleted