Confederate Bond Art

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by C G Memminger, Mar 6, 2015.

1. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

new bad habit. floating CSA bonds in nice frames in hopes of selling some of them. This is an 1864 "Equestrian" bond, and the poor bast*** who bought it got one interest payment (1/1/1865)...and thus the 59 unredeemed interest coupons. the pink color makes for an attractive piece of historical wall art. irregular edges sort of force me to "float" the instruments on mat board. IMG_0991.JPG

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Not a bad set up to display them to show versatility in having them (displaying as 'art' type on wall instead of keeping flat in a drawer or something), but I hope you are not really wanting to sell the frames with the bonds. 2 reasons I say this: 1) it will cost more to have the framed bond shipped, which ups the cost for the customer, and 2) these can't always be expected to fit in someone's decor. I think this is going to possibly lose you customers. But that's my opinion. Unless it was an original frame from years ago, or unless they were more professionally framed, or if keeping them framed really would keep it preserved in shipping, I personally wouldn't sell them framed.

4. C G Memminger

The cost of framing is minimal. DIY. I am a small-time art collector. I buy frames and framed posters and such at garage sales and yard sales. on the cheap. I'm mostly after the frames. I buy the mat board at a local art supply store for about $8 for a 60x48 sheet. Cutting the mat board requires a tape measure, a flat edge and an exacto knife. The thing I had to learn is how to attach the bond to the mat board, without damaging the bond, and without making removal a damage-guaranteed proposition. two-sided tape is a no no. lady art art supply store showed me how to use gummed linen tape. works like a charm. to remove the tape from the bond, simply apply a wet q-tip to the linen tape adhered to the bond, and the moisture will cause the tape to release. no stain, no tears, and the moisture will dry pretty quickly.

Selling....hmmmm. The way I see it, CSA bond collectors can buy bonds the same way I do, and they are not gonna be customers. I am of the belief (for the moment, anyway) that there are lots of people who might consider a wall piece lie this.

I reserve the right to be wrong!!!!

5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Everyone has the right to be wrong.
    :)

6. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

There a section for items on sale. I'm curious how much you are asking for displayed bond?

7. C G Memminger

Midas: had some luck selling locally. Sold a framed Trans-Mississippi bond, where I created a cut-out window on the back of the frame to allow the CSA Depositary's endorsement to be viewable. I got $350 for that one. But Trans-Miss bonds are way more valuable than the same bond without the endorsement.

Asking $250 for this one, due to size, condition and good looks. Equestrians are common, and common is really good condition. A couple nibbles, but no serious offers.

Here's another one. asking $200. This one is an R-6, but not colorful. Yellow mat board worked better than the other colors I had available. 1861 framed.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted