Confederate and German Bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by man2004, Jun 4, 2018.

1. lettow

lettow Senior Member

You are correct. I went from memory which apparently is not as good as it used to be. The red numbers are pre-war and were redeemable for gold. The green numbers are post-war and were not redeemable for gold.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I liked the historical approach in this thread. Well what about Renten Marks? if I may ask. Thanks..

4. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Rentenmarks were backed by the land.

5. lettow

lettow Senior Member

And replaced the Mark in the 1923 currency reform. The Reichsmark soon followed. Both continued to be used until the 1948 Currency Reform although the use of the rentenmark declined but they were still legal tender.

7Calbrey and Oldhoopster like this.
  6. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

In coins, they are considered relatively scarce and somewhat pricey. Does this apply to paper money. I guess I have one of these bills.

7. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Hi man2004. Not knowing very much about German banknotes, I looked it up online. This note was issued in Berlin. The Mark, also known as "Goldmark" was national currency of the German Empire from 1871 until 1914. To pay for the war, and to protect it's gold reserves, Germany abandoned the gold standard - Reichsbanknotes were no longer exchangeable for gold. Printing large quantities of money led to inflation, which got worse following Germany's military defeat in 1918. The value of the Mark was wiped away. - Before WWI, the value of 1000 Mark was worth £50 pounds (note - pounds, not dollars).

7Calbrey likes this.
  8. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The early and higher denomination rentenmark notes are better notes. The one and two rentenmark notes of 1937 are common.

7Calbrey likes this.
  9. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

I'm still trying to work out if the £ pound was worth $4 US or 5$ US back then????

If the shilling was smaller than a quarter $0.25 US then 20 s.= $4 US melt
    And the Mark 4 to a $1 US, then 1000M= $250. And, 50£=$250 US.
    And, 5Francs = $1... Hey, it aws all Hard Money, not fiat.
    Same for Copper. Size(weight) was everything.
    So one is as good as the other once size is accounted for.

10. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The average was $4.58 = £1 in 1923.

George McClellan likes this.
  11. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

You can get a nice unc example of the German 1000 mark for like $7.

12. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

13. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Yes Sir, those were the good old days. Even in the '80s everything was 'on approval' Snail Mail and Postal Money Orders... And Hugh Shull's Catalogue among others.

Draft saved Draft deleted