Confederate 100 dollar bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by starkiss38, Jul 12, 2011.

1. starkiss38

starkiss38 New Member

I have 2 confederate $100 bills that I got from an auction about a year ago. They are both in really bad condition but you can still read everything on the front of the bill. Neither bill has a reverse. The first bill is number 1320 and dated May 9, 1862 and says "Six months after the Ratification of a treaty of Peace between the Confederate States and the United States The Confederate States of America will pay one hundred dollars to bearer with Interest at two cents per day. On the back, the ink from the signatures has bled through and there is a partially-legible stamp that says INTEREST PAID TO (line below this mostly illegible with the date 1st (possibly January) 1864--the next line is mostly illegible, with ????? N.C.) Below this is writing from a pencil that says something about interest and has an 1865 date. Below that is a clearly legible stamp that says INTEREST PAID TO (next line) IN JANUARY 1863. ( next line) AT CHARLESTON. The other bill is similar, but it's number 33643 and dated August 14, 1862. On the back, it has what I believe is the same stamp that was on the other bill. The first line says INTEREST PAID TO, the second line is clearly dated 1st January 1864, and the third line is almost completely illegible. This note also has writing from a pencil like the other note. However, the stamp below this pencil writing says issued by (illegible) Charleston, S.C. Sep 16. This stamp is in a circular shape with Sep 16 in the center. I will try to get pictures uploaded ASAP but I'm working on a really slow computer so it may not happen. Thanks for the help!!! THIS WAS COPIED AND PASTED FROM THE WHAT'S IT WORTH FORUM.​

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. benplace

benplace Member

Lets see the Civil war ended in May of 1865, 2 cents per day times times 365 days = $7.30 times 146 years = $1065.80 the Confederate states are in debt to you.

4. starkiss38

starkiss38 New Member

Ok so how do I get that money? :)

5. starkiss38

starkiss38 New Member

Confederate 1 front.jpg Scan.jpg

Here is the first bill. (Number 1320)

6. benplace

benplace Member

7. starkiss38

starkiss38 New Member

Confederate 2 front.jpg Confederate 2 back.jpg

Here's the second bill. (Number 33646)

8. starkiss38

starkiss38 New Member

Found an error in my first post: The second bill in number 33646, not 33643.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I deleted your duplicate thread, only one thread per subject, please. Check the forum subsections to see which is the best for each thread. Thanks

Jim

10. starkiss38

starkiss38 New Member

Sorry, didn't know that.

11. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

These notes are not as bad as I expected. Unfortunately I am at work and do not have my confederate price guide with me , but can check for you when I get home.

12. Dr Kegg

Based upon my book, which is a tad outdated, the top note would fetch $35, the bottom $15 due to their condition and the date of issue. The one from May 9, 1862 is the one worth more.
    As I said, my book is a little outdated, so I would add 20% tops to those figures.

13. starkiss38

starkiss38 New Member

Ok thanks. Do you think they're real? They look pretty authentic to me. Also, can you tell me about a Confederate 10 dollar bill? I just found it in a box I got from an auction a few years ago and was wondering if it's real and what it's value is. It has a reverse on it and the number is illegible. However, it says series 10 on the side and the date is February 17, 1864, but its printed, unlike the other one. I'll try to get pictures, but I don't know if I can.

14. Dr Kegg

They look authentic to me. Generally later date/series confederate notes were the ones reproduced, such as the $10 you discussed. I will check and see about the date of yours and see if it is a well-known reproduction. There ARE authentic examples of the $10 note though, although they were some of the most heavily produced notes by the Confederacy.

15. starkiss38

starkiss38 New Member

Confederate 10 front.jpg Confederate 10 back.jpg

Here's the 10. I think it might be number 31086. I'm pretty sure that the last 3 numbers are 086 and I know that the last 2 are 86.

16. Dr Kegg

Based upon the book I have, your $10 is not a known reproduction.
    Yours look to be in Fine condition, worth about $25. Please feel free to add 20% to that figure as before.

17. ronterry

ronterry New Member

From my experience, repos are typically very centered/perfect, lack proper ink oxidation, and the paper quality being to good. All bets are off with a forgery. However a forger would not bother with high mintage currency - takes to much effort to make it worth they're time.
    Remember there is a huge difference between a counterfeit and a forgery.

18. ronterry

ronterry New Member

Duplicate........

19. starkiss38

starkiss38 New Member

Thanks to all of you. I'm just glad that it appears to be real!

20. ronterry

ronterry New Member

I should also mention that a period counterfeit can be worth more than the real deal. Especially if it was made by the Union...

21. Dr Kegg

That's true, but the odds of it are slight based upon my readings. Ron, do you know whether they were common by the UNnion during this time, and how one could tell?

Draft saved Draft deleted