Condition vs Value Question, on Two Separate Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by OldGoldGuy, Apr 6, 2015.

1. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

Please view these two coins. I have a couple questions regarding the shine on these two coins. Is this just a lighting issue in your opinion? What would you peg each coin's value at. Yes I could pull some past auctions, but I am trying to base this particular thread solely on the provided pictures. Please be as thorough and explanational™ as possible. And if you could comment on the spot at 9:30 on reverse #2 that would be very appreciated.

obverse #1
    [​IMG]

reverse #1
    [​IMG]

obverse #2
    [​IMG]

reverse #2
    [​IMG]

chrsmat71, Ancientnoob and stevex6 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Well for starters, the first coin looks harshly-cleaned. It looks like it may have been heavily encrusted, and the person who cleaned it had no choice but to be very vigorous about it. I don't like the surfaces at all. It's really too bad, because the piece has excellent detail, but that's the way it goes with ancients. It's worth nothing to me as I wouldn't spend a dollar on it.

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

OGG => it is always difficult to judge a coin by a photo, so if there is ever any doubt, I usually steer clear of the unknown (NOTE: but some folks like to gamble and boldly go where no coin-man has gone before!!)

... Ummm, I'm fairly lousy at spotting fakes, so always take me words with a grain of salt ... when I first started collecting ancients (before knowing the usefulness of these coin chat sites) I bought a couple of coins that have a similar look to the two that you are pondering ...

=> both had been harshly cleaned and I ended-up finding-out that they'd both been waxed so they'd look all shiny (not really what I was looking for, but I hastily bought them anyway) ...

ancients666c.jpg

ancients666d.jpg

ancients666a.jpg
    ancients666b.jpg

=> I ended-up spending $50 each (plus shipping) to have eventual peace-of-mind (David Sear gazed at them and luckily both coins checked-out as being "authentic") .... however, I spent more than $50 extra on both of them just so I could relax and enjoy them (looking-back, I wish that I'd steered-clear of these two examples and waited for a couple that looked a bit better and that didn't have big question-marks surrounding them) ...

=> but "good luck" which ever direction you decide to follow

5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Harshly cleaning a coin can bring the value down on a coin. One way you can get an estimated value is by comparison shopping. Look at similar coins at various places like Ebay, VCoins, M-A Shops, etc. That would be for a retail price but you'll at least know a price range to work with when doing retail or surfing auctions.

6. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I suspect that these coins look a lot better in hand. I would welcome either one into my collection. As far as the spot on coin #2 someone could have spit on 2 or 2000 years ago.

Here is my coin.

This denomination is called a double Victorianus. Approx. 6.3 g x 23 mm the coin features The head of Zeus left. On the reverse the names GOROGANES and SOSIPATROS with the likeness of Athena advancing right with shield and spear. The coin is fine silver minted in the second century BC by the Thessalian League in central Greece. Thessaly was annexed by the Romans after the defeat of Macedon in 196 BC until becoming part of the Province of Macedonia in 146 BC

I say the first one is $150 and the second maybe $200. I would be happy with either or both, but maybe its just me.
    20140921_ThesLeg_opt.jpg

chrsmat71, Gil-galad and Bing like this.
  7. OldGoldGuy

We should totally exchange emails and just hang out like, now.

This was the exact response I was looking for. Thanks.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  8. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

I have a Republic Anonymous issue Den that has a similar look to the Victorianus and it is lovely in hand!

Check out my quicky lame pics - one flat one reflecting light giving the coin a Freckle like patina.

Mr. David R. Sear held it himself & thought it was a beauty....and Real Cha Ching!

I suspect the metal is good and the coin is repatinating unevenly - spotty - with some mint luster coming through - the remnants of the Original Patina, dark around the devices

By the way your Sengir Vampire is about to get blasted by my 2/2 Sliver with double strike......just saying....;)

Attached Files:

sgt23, chrsmat71, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  9. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

The second obverse pic that is sideways was perfectly orientated like the others. Not sure why it went sideways????

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have a similar Roman Republican, but I have it attributed differently:
    C GARGONIUS OBV.jpg C GARGONIUS REV.jpg
    C. GARGONIUS, M. VERGILIUS, AND OGULNIUS, ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Apollo right, thunderbolt below
    REVERSE: Jupiter in quadriga right
    Struck at Rome 86 BC
    3.86g, 19mm
    Cr350/2

11. OldGoldGuy

Does this sliver have provoke? Obviously I wouldn't choose to block and sacrifice my grow-able vampire on some simic science experiment...

12. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

Ha! I got you now.....TAp tap tap tap Blammo! Ohhh.... you sacrificed him to boost you demon lord.......Dang it! Now I can't stop your Dark Ritual......

13. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

Your right with the attribution im just thinking about the overall patina issues ect.

14. John Anthony

16 legs on the quadriga. I'm impressed!

15. numisport

numisport Member

It is easy to tell whether or not modern coins have been cleaned. Two thousand year old coins have nearly all been cleaned and some many times over; agree ?

Severatus likes this.
  16. John Anthony

Yes, indeed. But there is still the difference between good cleaning and bad. The OP coins may of course be much better in hand. The first image is totally overexposed, but the coin still shows signs of a harsh cleaning. The second looks better. Suffice it to say that if I were buying the coins based on the images, I would want the seller to offer a return policy, just in case they turned out to be WORSE in hand.

17. OldGoldGuy

I snagged them both. I am holding my breath to see the first one in hand, the second I stole so I know I did good with that one. Regardless this seller offers a no questions return policy, something I haven't had to use yet. Very excited to get them in hand.

John Anthony and Ancientnoob like this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

good luck ... please keep us posted

OldGoldGuy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted