Condition issues

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 2x2 $averKrazy, Jan 25, 2021.

1. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

What do you do with a coin that has done this? IMG_20210125_025331988.jpg

capthank and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Have you tried anything yet ? That's why I don't trust these holders for extended amount of time . I prefer the "slab Style" better . Was this in fact in this holder since 1981 ?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    capthank likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

A dip is probably the only thing that will help the coin.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

@ldhair ? Are you talking about Acetone ?? Are these called "Milk spots " ?

capthank likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

No. I don't think that acetone will help. If this was a really valuable coin, I would try a bath in acetone first and a dip second. I don't call those milk spots but some may.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That is a haze on the coin. It is the beginning stage of toning.
    MS70 will remove it, but make sure that you do a thorough rinse of the MS70.

8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Coin holders offer varying degrees of protection.
    But none are 100% including slabs.
    Coins in holders also need to be stored in environmentally controlled conditions.
    That means a reasonably stable temperature.
    And that means in some sort of container with a desiccant.
    The more humid your environment the more important this is.

capthank likes this.
  9. I don't feel toning is a minus. I have a few deep golden rainbow toners, and I would never get rid of them. They are unique art.

10. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Based on the discoloring on the 2 x 2 cardboard it looks like the coin wasn't stored properly. Spots and stains on the cardboard are definite signs of mishandling. I've seen this before at coin shows when dealers have multiple binders of coins in 2 x 2's. At the end of the show those binders are tossed in a box and put away for the next show. Stored in a cellar, garage or car trunk waiting for the next event. You the owner could also be at fault. You could be storing your coin in a humid environment or dirty environment. Cellars or attics are the worst places to store coins. Keep in mind a finished basement is still a cellar if the humidity isn't controlled. As far as the coin goes, it's damaged. You may be able to "restore it" with a quick dip but, make sure you use clean dip. This coin is not silver so you don't want to use a dip you used on silver before. There would be traces of silver left behind from prior dipping. The same can be said it the dip was used on copper. If you do dip the coin you need to rinse it well. It may come back to being acceptable but, if the spotting has been on the coin for a long time it will have etched into the surface which means the spotting will return. I don't have a problem with that type of holder I've seen coins that have been stored in them for 50 years without any problems but, it really comes down to storage environment.

11. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I would leave the coin as it is, maybe move it to an airtite. Curious what the reverse looks like.

capthank likes this.
  12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I agree, switch it to an airtight and enjoy the transition as it happens. Good luck

capthank likes this.
  13. 2x2 $averKrazy

Don't know why that one done that ,have it side by side with other,s that are fine, pin hole maybe don't know I personally didn't do that particular 2x2, kind of heart sick about it ,I have few proof Lincoln,s I bought from the same dealer 8to 9 years back!

capthank likes this.
  14. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Please show us the reverse, Thanks

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Get out the eZest for a quick dip and then run it under warm water for a through rinsing.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

They're on for the life of it unless you dip them off. Stubborn little things.

17. 2x2 $averKrazy

The reverse don't look so bad IMG_20210125_164451430.jpg

capthank likes this.
  18. 2x2 $averKrazy

Was an ms coin what do you think it would grade at?

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Acetone isn't a dip, @SensibleSal66

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not an uncirculated coin, it's a proof coin. At least PR60, possibly higher. Worth a dip in eZest. These holders hold the coin between two sheets of polyester (PET), so no harm from that.

21. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

Do you have at least 12 other coins in Flips that have Haze (for Proofs) or blotchy/dark toning (for Business strikes) that is unattractive? If yes, and you would want them "Preserved" (technically professional cleaning), graded, and encapsulated, then I would recommend that you wait for the next ANACS Special for 12 Coins @ $119 (return UPS Shipping & Insurance included); each additional coin for grading is just $10 each. The 12 coins (actually up to 20 coins) will be "Preserved" for an additional $39 Flat fee. This Fee is significantly less than PCGS or NGC charges!

capthank likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted