Conder Tokens

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ancient Aussie, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Haven't posted in world Forum before but having mainly purchased UK tokens last year I think it more appropriate to post here for these , relatively knew to this collecting field but having travelled the UK a couple of years back I am fascinated with with this wonderful place and intend going back and visiting a few of these other 11 century buildings that are shown on these tokens.
    [​IMG]

Rare Skidmore’s Globe Series Alnwick Castle London (Middlesex) copper Conder penny token dated 1797. Obverse: View of Alnwick Castle with legend: “ALNWICK • CASTLE • NORTHUMB.D” with the die engraver's name: "JACOBS" below. Reverse: A globe, on which "BRITAIN" is indicated, supported by a three-legged stand with a rose and thistle each side, and legend: "BRITISH • PENNY." above and the date: "1797" in the exergue. Edge inscription: “I PROMISE TO PAY ON DEMAND THE BEARER ONE PENNY x”. Listed in “Dalton & Hamer” as “R - RARE”. These were produced by Denton, the London coin dealer, for sale to collectors. The die broke very early on in production leaving this piece more rare than the others.

D&H Middlesex No: 131. Diameter 35.3mm.

[​IMG]

Scarce County (Warwickshire) copper penny token dated 1796. Obverse: View of Caesar's Tower in Kenilworth Castle with legend and date with legend: "FIRMUM IN VITA NIHIL - MDCCXCVI". Reverse: A cypher of "PK" in script in centre with legend: "WARWICKSHIRE PROMISSORY PENNY". Edge inscription: "I PROMISE TO PAY ON DEMAND THE BEARER ONE PENNY". .

D&H Warwickshire No: 6. Diameter 33.1mm.

WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR TOKENS ESPECIALLY WITH ARCHITECTURE.

Kurisu, Theodosius, FitzNigel and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

This is what I have:

Bedale ½d 1792 (3).jpg Bilston 1d 1811 Samuel Fereday (3).jpg Birmingham ½d 1793 (3).jpg Birmingham 1d 1812 Union Copper Co (3).jpg Birmingham Coining & Copper Co ½d 1794 (3).jpg

4. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Here are a few of mine that fit the description.

GBDundee179503.jpg
    GBWarwickshire179601.jpg
    GBWarwickshire179708.jpg
    GBCoventry179703.jpg

5. mrbadexample

6. mrbadexample

Last couple:

Netherton 1d 1813 Griffin & Sons (3).jpg Norwich 2d Robert Blake (2a).jpg

Kurisu, The Eidolon and Chris B like this.
  7. Ancient Aussie

You have a great collection of Tokens, thanks for sharing.

8. Ancient Aussie

Chris B likes this.
  9. mrbadexample

Thanks. My favourites are the Birmingham Workhouse threepence - it's huge at 66.7g and 45mm, and the Bilston Penny. :)

10. mrbadexample

Is the Bablake Hospital one a proof Chris? It's a beauty.

11. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I had the same thought but when I sent it to NGC it came back MS64

mrbadexample likes this.
  12. Ancient Aussie

WOW they get that big, won't fit in my album..:D

13. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Nice one Aussie! I didn’t realize there was a Condor token for Alnwick castle. I lived up that way for a while so I might need to search it out. The other area I lived was in Norwich, so I grabbed an example of Norwich Castle:
    World - Condor Norwich.jpg

14. Ancient Aussie

Thanks, Yes when I go back one of the first places I will visit is Alnwick castle, actually the guy who sells me most of my tokens lives near there, I bought another four today, hey these things are addictive...:greedy:

FitzNigel likes this.
  15. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Be sure to check out Alnwick Gardens if you do - beautiful gardens, and a nice way to spend a day

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  16. mrbadexample

ABC?

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  17. Ancient Aussie

Yes, he has some great tokens at reasonable prices.

18. Ancient Aussie

Here's another token I received from ABC, one of my favorite places in UK last time I visited Bath, I couldn't think of a better sourvineer than this my picture of the Pump room/entrance...
    [​IMG]
    Heath’s Bath (Somerset) copper farthing token dated 1795. Obverse: Crowned and bearded bust to left with bow and quiver of arrows over shoulder with legend: “BLADUD FOUNDED BATH”. Reverse: Front view of the new pump room associated with the baths with legend: “WEST FRONT OF NEW P.P ROOM BATH HEATH 1795 IRONMONGER”. Plain edge. This was issued by F. Heath who was an ironmonger, brazier and cutler with a business in Bath. Bladud was the eighth King of the Britons who is thought to have founded the baths in 863 B.C.

D&H Somerset No: 116. Diameter 23.0mm.

IMG20170801110158.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    ZoidMeister and Chris B like this.
  19. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Another Bath halfpenny token (Somerset 75). The general hospital was "Open to people of all countries, Bath alone excepted". I took this to mean no locals allowed (?)

MergedSomersetshire75.jpg

20. Ancient Aussie

WOW that's a beauty is that St. John the Baptist Hospital Bath?

21. Ancient Aussie

Sure will thanks for the tip.

Draft saved Draft deleted