Concentric rings 1996-D Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RandyK, Sep 15, 2019.

1. RandyK

RandyK Member

This Cent has concentric rings that resemble a vinyl phonograph record. All the devices on the coin are above the rings. The rings must have been on the planchet before the minting process. The rings extend from the edge of the coin to between the 9s in the date and between the E and R of LIBERTY.

Sun Sep 15 17-14-39.jpg

Sun Sep 15 17-14-40.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Lathe lines. Cool stuff!

4. RandyK

RandyK Member

I finally took the time to find that the Lathe Lines is an accepted variety that I had not heard of before. Thaks for the information.

Chuck_A, Neal and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not on the planchet, they were on the die blank before it was hubbed. The got in a hurry when they turned the face of the die blank and instead of a flat smooth surface to the cone on the die face it left a distinct spiral groove. When the die was hubbed the fields being the highest portion of the die face, received the least pressure during the hubbing and the lather ridges were not wiped out. Nor withthe remove during subsequent lapping of the die face so they showed up on the struck coins.

Chuck_A, Neal and ldhair like this.
  6. RandyK

RandyK Member

Thanks Conder. After Furryfrog said lathe lines it made sense. I looked up lathe lines and found the variety. I had not seen this one before. I find it very interesting. Thanks to both of you for the information.

Chuck_A and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Randy - these pics from the US Mint website might help you understand what happens and when during the making of coin dies.

Bar-stock-Die-Blanks-Works-Hubs-and-Dies.jpg

This next one is a closeup of a working hub and struck die.

Reverse-Work-Hub-and-Struck-Die1.jpg

Chuck_A, JeffC and Neal like this.
  8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

9. coin roll

coin roll Active Member

It's nice to have a "new member" find something real and then go and investigate what the members have told them. You have a good eye and attitude. Welcome to Coin Talk.

RandyK, Chuck_A, Brina and 1 other person like this.
  10. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Randy, thanks for sharing this, and thanks to all of you who explained it. I learn something new all the time on CT.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Cool find. Not really worth much, but it is a genuine anomaly in the minting process. And, it helps us learn a bit more about how the coins are made. Welcome to CoinTalk!

12. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

Great information and comments, I wasn't aware of lathe lines in the minting process either. I need to do some more research too. Thank you all.

Draft saved Draft deleted