Concave/Convex 20-S Lincoln?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by TJ1952, Jan 9, 2016.

1. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I know the mint intentionally produced this concave/convex commemorative.

[​IMG]

Just wondering, if there was ever any history of concave/convex coins being produced in error by the mint? It's hard to see by the pictures but this 20-S is definitely convex on the obverse and concave on the reverse. It doesn't lie flat on the obverse side. Both sides seem to be the same consistency around the rim of the coin. It doesn't look like someone took a hammer to it. But it could still somehow be PMD. Your thoughts..

S20160109_008.jpg S20160109_009.jpg S20160109_004.jpg S20160109_005.jpg S20160109_007.jpg S20160109_006.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like it is bent very slightly from the first "U" in PLURIBUS to the southeast through the diagonal of the "N" in ONE.

Chris

4. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Hey, I've been sitting here waiting for everyone. Thanks for your reply and feedback Chris. I guess everyone is still over talking to Rachael. :wideyed:

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Or Chess ....

6. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I should change my profile picture! : )

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

No you didn't ....

8. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

There is a single US coin struck by reciprocally deformed, convex-concave dies:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-co...pact--induced-reciprocal-die-deformation.html

However, all other examples that I'm aware of were intentionally deformed outside the Mint. I suspect that's the case with your coin.

All genuine examples, domestic and foreign, show other problems, like centralized weakness, semi-circular die cracks, misalignments, etc.

9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Finally, besides @cpm9ball a serious reply. Thanks for your detailed explanation. Your opinion reinforces my thoughts. Tks!

Draft saved Draft deleted