Compugrade Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jul 8, 2016.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hello all,

Does anyone know if this graded baseball card is from the same Compugrade company as the coin grading company. The fonts are different and there is no logo on the card, but could there have been two separate Compugrade companies? Thank you!
    @Burton Strauss III @Conder101

IMG_8706.JPG
    IMG_8707.JPG

Here is the slabbed coin:

comp63.6.jpg
    comp63.6rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I don't know the answer to your question but I do have 2 of the exact Griffey Jr. cards. Have had them in a couple separate auction & still have them. Can tell you the card wasn't worth the grade.

ddddd likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

I figured the card wasn't worth much based on eBay prices. What interested me was the holder. I know that the compugrade coin holders are worth a good premium, so I wanted to see if the card holder had a similar premium.

I also know that Accugrade did both coins and cards, so that made me think the two Compugrades could be related.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They MIGHT be related but I doubt it. For one thing if the coin slabbing Compugrade went to all the trouble to get the name trademarked, why would they not put the trademark symbol on the card slab? I mean why trademark something and then not use it?

ddddd likes this.
  6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Interesting... the fonts are nothing alike. Nor does the baseball card slab have a hologram. There is no date, although it's obviously no earlier than 1989...

I would **GUESS** two different companies.

Compugrade started and failed in 1991, but the patent dates from 1990.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4899392A/en

Claim #1 of the Compugrade patent:

1. An automated method for objectively assigning a numismatic grade to a test coin of particular issue, said method comprising the steps of:
    (a) electronically identifying and locating each detracting mark on one of the obverse and reverse sides of the test coin;
    (b) electronically measuring the surface area of each identified detracting mark;
    (c) utilizing computer means to automatically assign to each identified detracting mark a quantity proportional to the detracting significance thereof based upon the location and measured surface area of the mark on said one side of the test coin;
    (d) automatically summing said assigned quantities using said computer means to arrive at an amount representative of all identified detracting marks on said one side of the test coin;
    (e) automatically correlating said summed amount into a numismatic grade for said one side of the test coin with reference to a preexisting computer database of scaled values representative of numismatic grades; and

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted