Completion of a 2 Corona Date Set

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Jaelus, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

The Austro-Hungarian 2 Corona was only minted for three years, making it a fairly short but enjoyable set to collect. I have recently completed my business strike set.

The denomination is silver 0.835 10g 27mm x 2mm which is roughly equivalent to a US silver half dollar.

The business strike date set consists of five coins:
    • Austria 1912 mintage of 10,244,500
    • Austria 1913 mintage of 7,256,002
    • Hungary 1912KB mintage of 4,000,268
    • Hungary 1913KB mintage of 3,000,205
    • Hungary 1914KB mintage of 500,106
    The Hungarian 1914KB is considered to be the only key date in the set, and with a mintage of just over 500k it was challenging to find a suitable example.

Here are the coins:

Austria 1912 - PCGS MS65
    A1912.jpg

Austria 1913 - PCGS MS64
    A1913.jpg

Hungary 1912KB NGC MS63

I selected this coin because of the PL surfaces (extremely scarce for this denomination), but NGC did not see fit to grant the PL designation.
    H1912.jpg

Hungary 1913KB - NGC MS65
    H1913.png

Hungary 1914KB - NGC MS61

H1914.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Nice coins and congrats on finishing the set.

Always like seeing your additions!

Jaelus likes this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

These are beautiful, but one in particular caught my eye ;)

It looks like they've only graded one 1912 in PL. I think on yours, the reverse looks fully PL, but the obverse might be a little weaker (if I'm interpreting your pictures correctly).

I really like the powder blue reverse of the Austria 1912 as well.

Jaelus likes this.
  5. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Very nice accomplishment! The
    1914KB is my favorite. The patina
    just mesmerizes.

Jaelus likes this.
  6. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Two thumbs up!

Jaelus likes this.
  7. Jaelus

These were some cell phone pics I took of the coin in the submission flip before I sent it in. It doesn't capture the mirrored surfaces but it gives a better impression of the look of the coin in hand.

2.jpg

To be honest I only thought it had a reasonable shot at PL, but I wasn't convinced it would get the designation. NGC is strict about giving a PL for world coins. For something like a 1915 corona you see a lot of semi-PLs, but for the 2 corona, hardly any are even semi-PL. Even without the designation I'm very pleased to have this as my example of a 1912 (but I'll keep looking for one that can get the designation!).

The funny thing about this date set is that I never actually set out to complete it. It's such a short set it just kind of completed itself:
    • The 1913KB I've had for years as it is my type coin in my Hungarian type set.
    • The 1912KB I bought for the PL surfaces for my Austro-Hungarian PL set.
    • The 1914KB kind of fell into my lap. I was buying some other coins from a dealer and they brought that one out to show me as well. I suppose there's not that much interest in obscure Hungarian key dates on the US market, because it was priced relatively low. I happened to have a raw XF at the time that I then went and listed on the Hungarian market for about double what I paid for the slabbed example, and it got bought up quickly. The new coin was rather nice (perhaps the only MS example I've seen of this key date) so I decided to keep it, which completed my Hungarian date set.
    • The Austrian ones I recently purchased together. I was buying the 1912 for type, but at that point I figured why not just buy them both and complete the entire date set, as both examples were very pleasing and about as nice as I've seen for the type.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Please start a new thread and show these off. I have a few that I will post, but don't want to de-rail this thread.

9. Jaelus

Sure. I really need to photograph them though. I do have the slabbed PLs on Collective Coin here: https://collectivecoin.com/Jaelus/4Of54VXtsgdX2synKcDk

The Austrian 1904 and 1914 (the MS63) in my (almost complete) 1 Corona date set I consider to be PL, but NGC did not give them the designation (I'm assuming) due to the wild colored toning: https://collectivecoin.com/Jaelus/ONdv5XtgkdEXsa2tQ7Av

I also consider the 1889KB and 1892KB Forints in my forint date set to be PL. Same as above, I consider the toning to have held them back from the NGC designation though I would not consider dipping them. As the ones I cited above they are fully PL in hand: https://collectivecoin.com/Jaelus/sAhcsumkaMYQsObX1Vno

Draft saved Draft deleted