Completely Stumped

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jason Forbis, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Jason Forbis

Jason Forbis New Member

I have come across a 1944 Lincoln Cent that has me stumped. It is the same diameter as any other cent, but it is very very thin (worse on one edge than the other). It is also more than a gram light. There is wear on the coin but nowhere near enough to account for the weight loss or the thickness loss. What am I missing? If counterfeit, why?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Wear and tear. Worn down. Welcome to CT.

4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I'm in the "who gives a crap" camp. It's a POS coin. Toss it.

5. Jason Forbis

Jason Forbis New Member

Such a welcoming crowd.

6. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT! I am sorry but that is PMD...
    Keep looking!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  7. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Don’t take offense to anything. Some of the “wording” may not be up to par. I’m no pro but learned about you post what you like and ask what you want to ask. Can’t promise some will respond.

8. Jason Forbis

Jason Forbis New Member

There is no reason to take up for that yahoo. This is obviously not where anyone still excited about coins and learning about them needs to be.

9. Newbee03

Newbee03 Well-Known Member

This is actually the exact place one should be! First it's free knowledge that you will receive here. And collectively between everyone on this sight there is hundreds of years of knowledge. Much more than me or you would be able to obtain in our life times! So I wouldn't be so quick to say stuff like that. And when people reply it may not be what you want to hear but there sure not gonna surger coat anything. But it's with all good intentions behind it.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The Corgi barks a lot, but he has redeeming qualities. :)

If your coin had been struck on a thin or underweight planchet, I would expect it to be weakly struck, and I don't see that.

I think it was etched (corroded) in acid. That reduces the coin's thickness (and diameter, though not as noticeably), while retaining and even sometimes enhancing the struck details. Think of restoring a date on a Buffalo nickel. The metal that's squeezed up into the devices gets "work hardened", and acid attacks it more slowly than the metal that didn't get yanked around during the strike.

So, I think your cent's missing weight probably got dissolved and washed away. It's hard to be sure, but that would be my bet.

11. Jason Forbis

Jason Forbis New Member

I will grant that if someone says something I don't agree with, so be it. But that response was just someone who thinks they are high and mighty being an edited. There are plenty of forums and communities concerning coins. I choose not to be a part of one that holds someone like that up as a good example, and then defends them. I'm not looking for sugar-coated anything. However, I am due the respect that anyone should be given when they ask a simple question. I find it hard to accept that there were "good intentions" behind that kind of treatment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2023
    CoinCorgi likes this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Could be the larger part of a clamshell.
    The reverse details are weak.

13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

@Jason Forbis certainly a belated welcome as you've been a member since 11/2019, albeit with no active participation.

Please don't judge the masses based on one members rude comment. I do agree with you, it was an uncalled for response to your query.

As for your coin in question, I also agree it is likely PMD (Post Mint Damage). @-jeffB came up with a viable reason for the underweight and thin appearance of your cent. I don't see the acid corrosion as being prevalent on the obverse, but I can see it on the reverse.

Again, welcome to CT. There are a boatload of knowledgeable numismatists on this site.

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    Kevin Mader and Kasia like this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Welcome to CT.
    Don't let one member or post, drive you away from CT. You will get good honest answers here. I agree that the coin is just damaged. Acid is the best bet. Many like it have been posted here in the past.

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

First this was minted on a thin planchet. Second, it’s a shame about its condition but it has seen a rough life in circulation. The thin area at 9:00 is from damage. It was struck on the edge very close to the rim and with the thin planchet, well you can see the result.
    And third I want to add that this is a great place to be to learn about coins. You are a 3 year member with 5 posts. We see so many coins like yours and so many new members are looking to get rich it just makes us sick. That makes for short, not so polite, answers. You will receive honest answers from most members but you need to get to know us as well. But you will get truthful answers.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's a thin planchet. They're not always in tolerance. That said, I'm sorry to break it to you, but nobody here cares. Especially in that beat-up condition. But there's your designation if you're losing sleep for one, it's a thin, out-of-tolerance, planchet.

Kasia likes this.
  18. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Acid/chemically treated.

Didn't start out as a thin planchet error, imo.

Dynoking, Kevin Mader, Kasia and 4 others like this.
  19. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Great. Just as I suspected. Thanks Fred.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  20. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

My point being that it doesn't matter how it became a POS. It is what it is.

21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

We all have good days, and bad days, so some responses come across as demeaning when they aren't meant to be.

CoinCorgi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted