COMPLETELY CLAD 2001 D VERMONT QUARTER

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by willard t frye, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Purchased a Vermont clad proof 2001 D on Ebay. The coin was described as being silver proof but we all know silver proofs are "s" mints. Received coin yesterday and proceeded to investigate. Coin is definitely a CU-N clad and does not even appear silver. Easily mistaken as silver because the edge is entirely clad with no copper showing. Tried to file edge down to see the copper but the nickel is so tough I failed to even scratch the surface. I have never seen any clad coins like this,quarters or otherwise. Any comment? See picts.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Poor pictures, but I'd bet it's plated.

4. It's definitely not silver plate. Would not take a file so any suggestions on plating material?

5. rickmp

Could be nickel, chrome, or any other silvery colored metal.

6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Yes - plated or else the edge would show the copper. And you shouldn't file your coins - renders them worthless.

7. rickmp

Not worthless, just face value.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Plated.. bad job at it also :yack:
    It's not even a smooth plating.. looks almost spray painted!

9. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

coin is only worth face value...

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hey paddy! Spray painted or spray plated?:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot: In any event, PMD!

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah :nailbiting:

12. I hope the person doing the plating realizes the dangers of chrome and nickel plating. too much risk involved for me.

13. rickmp

There is really no danger if it's done right and with the proper precautions.

14. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Wait you bought this? How much did you pay?

rickmp likes this.
  15. rickmp

I will add that I would return it as SNAD.

16. cpm9ball

The person who did it probably had it in mind to con someone, so anything that might happen to them as a result is just their tough luck.

Chris

17. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Before he took a file to it, absolutely. Now, no.... consider it tuition, a lesson learned, whatever, but one cannot rightfully buy, damage, and then return coins, no matter the situation; that's going too far imo.

cpm9ball, Yankee42 and rickmp like this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's plated with a silver looking type metal. Funny how this came up as I went to my local bank today and for $.25 my teller handed me a 2004-D Michigan freshly plated with Gold quarter. It's a beautiful plating job and the quarter itself looks like it was just cracked out of a new mint roll. It's PMD and plated but I bought it to keep as a fine example of what a crafty person can do to try and fool others.

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. cpm9ball

The TV hucksters had thousands of the SQ sets plated and sold them at greatly inflated prices. When many of the suckers or their heirs realized they had been duped, a lot of the coins were dumped back into the marketplace.

Chris

20. $1 + shipping. I wanted out of curiosity more than anything. Knew that a D mint would not be silver. I spoke to the seller and she said that she works at a bank where it showed up. She mistaking thought it was silver because of the shiny edge. Not having any knowledge of coins or coin collecting put it on EBay as a silver proof.

21. Maxseamus

Maxseamus New Member

I just got one of these in some change. Exact same thing, looks nicely plated and thought it was silver at first but then found then checked and saw the D mint mark. The quarter is in excellent condition like someone just popped it out of a set.

Draft saved Draft deleted