Completed another series - China Federal Reserve aluminum coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gxseries, Apr 23, 2015.

1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

This has been a difficult series to collect. Despite what catalog value suggest, this is an eye opener. A somewhat neglected series but a tough one to assemble.

Struck in between 1941 to 1943 during the Japanese occupation, the Provisional Government has authorized the Federal Reserve to issue coins. These coins are exactly the same as the Japanese aluminum coins that were issued at that time. In particular, when Osaka mint had to make drastic option to reduce the weight of aluminum, these Federal Reserve coins also followed suit. While it is not clear where these coins were struck (either Osaka or in China), they definitely are of the same planchets.

There is only nine coins to this series and catalog value wise, there doesn't seem to be any reason why they can't be completed for around 200 dollars. Turns out this is just an indicative and it does not reflect reality. Three difficult coins are as followed (from slightly difficult to very difficult): 1942 5 fen, 1943 1 fen, 1943 5 fen. As of why 1943 coins are hard to find - who knows. Maybe Japan was facing a situation where aluminum had to be rationalized. However that doesn't explain why 1943 1 jiao coins are rather common...

The holy grail of this series is the 1943 5 fen - which I had to sell off some of my coins to purchase this. Unfortunately cleaned and perhaps paid way over catalog value but I'm certain this is one coin that doesn't appear in the market any time soon. The last time i saw it, it was about two - three years ago.

[​IMG]

As of how long I took to hunt down all the coins, it took a good five years (!) The rest of the collection can be seen here:

http://gxseries.com/numis/china/china_federal.htm

Please feel free to show your coins as well!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

very nice set. I do not collect these.

4. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Congrats on completing your set. You have done a very fine job. To be honest, I have thought about this series and I too thought it might not be too bad. But 5 years is a long time to hunt down the coins you need to complete unless you are a very patience man or woman.

5. PHanagriff

PHanagriff Active Member

I am very glad that you posted your photos for me to find. I have been scratching my bald head for several hours until I found your photos. You helped me identify the 1942 1 Jiao (Chiao) aluminum coin. Thanks for your help!

Now I concentrate on this one. Any help is appreciated in advance.

Attached Files:

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Phanagriff your second coin comes from China-Japanese Puppet States Manchukuo
    Krause catalog Y#14 denomination Chiao(10 Fen)
    date KT 10

grade/value
    VG8-$2.00 F12-$5.00 VF20-$9.00 XF40-$15.00 MS60-$45.00
    I am not sure what your coins grade is ???
    Krause values may differ than real market values.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

your first coin is Provisional government of China/ Japanese Occupation
    Krause Y#524 denomination 5 Fen

not sure what your coins date is ???

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Gx: What is the date that they are using on that coin?
    Do I see "Year 32"?

This isn't a Showa date, obviously.

9. PHanagriff

PHanagriff Active Member

Thanks Guys, the information that spirityoda provided allowed me to find additional information on both coins. The first coin is 23mm so it should be a CHIAO (23mm). The FEN is 15mm, and the 5 FEN is 19mm.
    The second coin's date I believe is KT-10 or 1943. It also is 23mm. both of your responses steered me in the right directions. Thanks again!

spirityoda likes this.
  10. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Thanks for the info.

Very interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted