Complete Kennedy Half Collection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lon Chaney, May 27, 2016.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I'm trying to put a list together of issues that are not in Dansco's albums. Wondered if I'm missing anything. Different issues and major varieties:
    64 accented hair
    81 S type 1 and 2
    98 S matte proof
    2014 gold kennedy
    2014 high relief business strikes
    2014 4-piece silver set

Not including the 1964 SMS for obvious reasons. Thoughts? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The '98-S is a Matte Finish, not a Matte Proof. It was originally graded "MS" but was later changed to "SP". The two I have are graded MS.

Chris

4. Lon Chaney

I always thought SP stood for special proof. Does it just stand for "special?"

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I keep forgetting what the heck "SP" stands for since it has not made a phonetic connection in my impaired brain!

"SPecial"
    "Special Phinish"
    "Super Purty"

Googling it shows that NGC and the Numismatic World interprets it as "SPECIMEN"
    https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/2202/Glossary/

Even that is confusing since the word "specimen" is defined as:

noun
    1. a part or an individual taken as exemplifying a whole mass or number; a typical animal, plant, mineral, part, etc.
    2. (in medicine, microbiology, etc.) a sample of a substance or material for examination or study: a urine specimen; a tissue specimen.
    3. a particular or peculiar kind of person.

yet the TPG's are using it to describe a coins "finish"?

Maybe thats why the meaning has never stuck inside my head.
    And from a personal Standpoint, I felt that SMS (Special Mint Set) was more accurate.

But, whatever. I guess the more refined the definitions get in conjunction with all the older slabs with old definitions out there then the more confusing it all gets.

As for your list. Are you going to put a collection together into a Generic Dansco that does not have preprinted pages?

6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

There are some neat mint set varieties including the 1974 DDO and the 1988 rotated reverse.

You could also incude the '76-S Unc made on high speed presses.

7. Lon Chaney

Hm. Specimen, weird.
    Anyway, no, it's already started in the standard Dansco, but I want to put a page at the end with the extra stuff. Using blank pages and keeping it in order is intriguing though.

8. Lon Chaney

There's a port already for the 76S business strike 40%. But I'll look at the others, thanks.

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

1964 Kennedy w/Accented hair reverse.

10. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

There are really two distinct 1976-S 40% business strikes.

Late in the striking period the mint came to believe that the authorizing legislation didn't limit the mintage at 14,000,000 but rather mandated production so high. There was no time left to strike so many more coins so they hurriedly ran off over ten million pieces on high speed presses. These coins were abysmal quality and were sold as part of the three coin set from late in 1976 until around 1986 when the were all melted. Because the coins were poorly made and had rolled around in 55 gallon drums many were destroyed by buyers. These coins are somewhat uncommon today.

11. Lon Chaney

That's something I did not know.

12. 19Lyds

I started this years ago and was even using blank Dansco Albums so that I could put them on the bookshelf.

It was s-o-o-o long ago, that I forgot to put the 1964 Proof coin in right after the 1964 and 1964-D.

I did not take notice of that oversight until around 2007 which was well beyond that point in time where it made sense just to move every coin over a notch! smack.gif

13. 19Lyds

I believe that just a wee bit of clarification is needed here.

14. Lon Chaney

That's pretty funny but definitely a drag.

15. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

They had to suddenly store more than 10,000,000 40% silver quarters, halfs, and dollars. They actually used 55 gallon steel drums to store these coins and took them out to assemble into sets as they were sold over the next ten years.

I don't know as a fact that they moved these barrels by rolling them but the coins certainly look like they were rolled around in 55 gallon drums.

16. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The coins made on the high speed presses were poorly struck, often had worn dies, and had poor surfaces. They also had extensive light marking. They come in plastic with no white stripe on the edge.

The 3 pc sets made before this were struck by good dies on numismatic presses and had excellent surfaces. Most were lightly marked and the number of marks was never large. They came in a plastic sleeve with a white stripe on it.

Even though huge numbers of the high speed press coins were made very few survive. Almost all of the coins you see are of the lower mintage variety.

17. Tim C

Tim C Active Member

I think the jury is still out on this one ......

PCGS grades it as MS, but NGC requires it in the "basic" Proof set in their Registry.

18. Tim C

Tim C Active Member

Interesting question. First, you need to decide what “you” want to collect.

Do you want just a date, mint mark and type set? What do you mean by “major varieties”?

If you are interested in a date, mint mark and type set, I would make sure the set included the following besides the standard P, D, Silver Proof, Clad Proof, 1965-67 SMS:

1964 Accented Hair
    1979-S Type I & II
    1981-S Type I & II
    1998-S Matte
    2014 P&D Obverse of 1964
    2014-W Gold
    2014 Four-piece silver set

When you say “Major Varieties”, this is when it might get tricky depending on who you talk with, so you have to decide for yourself what you want to collect. There are several different opinions on what constitute being a “Major Variety” and the hobby has not established a definite list. To start out, I would suggest the following varieties:
    1964 Proof DDO-002 FS-101
    1964-D BS DDO-001 FS-101
    1964-D BS DDO-003 FS-103
    1964-D BS DDO-005 FS-105
    1966 SMS DDO-013 FS-103
    1966 SMS DDO-019 FS-104
    1967 SMS DDO-006 FS-101 (probably my favorite variety of the series)
    1974-D BS DDO-001 FS-101

Some people would add others to the list and may take a few away. Please remember that this is a hobby and what ever you do just have fun with it.

Just my thoughts on the subject,
    Tim

19. Lon Chaney

The 1979 type 1 and 2 is already split out in the Dansco album so that's why it's not in my additional list.
    I'm about 75% done with the album, but want to include I guess what I would call major varieties alongside every date/mm/type. For me it doesn't include DDOs/DDRs and RPMs. No FG I'm on the fence about since it's a late die state thing.
    I did just learn there's a 1968-S inverted S though, which might be worth including.

20. Tim C

Tim C Active Member

Sounds like you have a handle on what you want to do, have fun and good luck.

21. Lon Chaney

Thanks. Just wanted to make I didn't miss a type.

And with the DDOs and stuff, I get the appeal but I just personally don't like to strain my eyes.

Draft saved Draft deleted