Complete 1909-1958 Wheat Penny Set

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Skyler, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This thread is very old. It would be best if you started your own thread and had full size photos. You’ll get more responses.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Oh I'm sure he's going to do that. :wacky:

4. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I have watched a full set on Ebay and it went for a few hundred.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

You easily are well into a four figure value but here’s the deal….. On the high value coins, any legitimate buyer will be very suspect of a coin that is not certified. Your 09-S, vdb may very well bring $1100.00 or better alone. But a legit buyer won’t go that strong unless it is certified in most cases.

eddiespin likes this.
  6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The Grey Sheet says that the 1909 to 1933 set is worth $1,449.40 in Fine and $1,795.95 in VF. How they get that precise in value is beyond me. Add to those prices 15 to 20 percent for the retail mark up and you have an idea as to what the set to date will cost you. The later dates from 1934 to date are not worth much in the circulated grades unless you are buying the doubled dies and such. I don't think those coins are in most albums.

Here's a tip. Buy the coins as a group if you can. A local dealer in my area buys such items over the counter. If the individual coins aren't worth much, he takes out the key dates and sells the rest in the album. That's usually a lot cheaper than buying singles.

You should buy the key dates, like the 1909-S-VDB and 1914-D, certified. There are just too many fakes around to take the chance. The chances of finding the better dates in a roll of cents is like winning the lottery for big bucks. It mostly happens in books of fiction.

Draft saved Draft deleted