Complete 1909-1958 Wheat Penny Set

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Skyler, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Skyler

Skyler New Member

I've been trying to complete a full set (all mint marks, all dates, all varieties) of every wheat penny. If most are F-VF what do you think the total value would be (including 1909-S VDB and all of those rare dates)?

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Depends on condition of the rare dates..

Endeavor likes this.
  4. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

Every coin being F-VF? In that case, probably around $8,000. But that's just a wild guess for me, I have no idea. Thousands.

Endeavor likes this.
  5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Endeavor likes this.
  6. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Right, adding "all varieties" could become really really expensive. Maybe you just mean the major varieties such as the '22 no D and the '55 DDO. But if you really mean all varieties, you'll not only have to spend a lot of money, but a lot of time just finding some of them. Good luck!

Endeavor likes this.
  7. Skyler

Skyler New Member

I have all 40's almost all 50's, half or so 20-30's and anything older I only have a few and in bad condition :/. Although a 1972 DDO isn't a wheatie it still makes for a good penny for my collection.

Endeavor likes this.
  8. Skyler

Skyler New Member

Yes, I meant the major ones, and thanks! :)

Endeavor likes this.
  9. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

I suspect you are trying to collect raw pieces, or slabbed? For the rarer dates, I suggest to buy slabbed pieces.

Endeavor likes this.
  10. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

I'll have to agree completely. The rarer dates, such as the 1909-S VDB and the 1914-D, are counterfeited all the time. There are more fakes out there than genuine pieces. If you can spot the fakes from genuine pieces, that is good. But never take any chances.

Endeavor likes this.
  11. Skyler

Skyler New Member

Exactly my words.

Endeavor likes this.
  12. Skyler

Skyler New Member

I'm missing 32 out of 141, which isn't bad considering I filled most of these from 1 (really big) box of wheaties. Of course, I will probably upgrade a couple of the older, more worn down coins. I had to take the pictures on angle because there was a glare when I tried taking a picture straight above.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Endeavor likes this.
  13. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

I don't know if it's because of the pic, but that 1911-D looks cleaned or polished or something.

Monstermommy and Endeavor like this.
  14. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

I would get almost all MS for anything from '40 on (okay, maybe 50). Not too expensive, considering the 1909-S VDB cost.....less than $10 per coin on Ebay BIN\

(Even though your collection has some:))

Endeavor likes this.
  15. Skyler

Skyler New Member

I think you're right because I got my 1911-D 1913-S and 1916-D all free from some guy who was like, "Here, I don't need these anymore, I think one or two are cleaned or something." That was about 3 or maybe 4 years ago.

Endeavor likes this.
  16. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

The 1911-D and 1913-S are still better dates, and are worth keeping. But polishing/cleaning coins destroys alot of their value.

Endeavor likes this.
  17. shawn hall

shawn hall New Member

i just completed my indian head cent and wheat penny collection. i started with 200 dollars and continued buying and selling using reciprocating profits untill the collection was completed. it took me 16 months to complete. i would recommend buying large lots of wheats and some collection books. get what you need then put as many coins as you can in the extra books and sell them on ebay as partial collections. it works great and is fun to do.

Endeavor likes this.
  18. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

This guy sells every wheat cent. It's pretty much all he sells and I think he's the largest wheat cent seller on ebay. I've purchased from him before to fill some holes.

Wheat Cents eBay

19. Troy Estrema

Troy Estrema New Member

Ok so I apologise for being late to the party. But I am trying to complete a small one cent book years 1856-current (now 2019!!!). I also have a few questions. I will only focus on the 1909-1958 Lincoln Wheat Ears. I keep coming up with a 158 total variations count. That is all P<D<S, VDB, DDO, D/D, D/S, S/S, Weak D, No D, and so on and so on you get the idea. I am going for the whole enchilada!!! Go big or go home!!!! So anyways I currently have 130 out of that 158. I will probably acquire at least 3 more by the time I get a response. First question, just want some confirmation of an all types total quantity? Secondly going off of a 2013 11th edition U.S. Coin Digest lowest grading column G-4 I am tallying $5,750.45 for this collection in its entirety. Now there are 7 high value cents I will probably never acquire and taking those out of the picture the remaining balance is $975.45. Now remember old price guide and lowest grading column, but does that seem right? I read that the gentleman who started this thread said that the collection consisted of 141 I assume this is a smaller number because it's lacking some of the extremely scarce varieties or errors? But the 55' DD and the 22 no D's (plural Die 2 and die 3) where brought up are they included in that 141? Also someone mentioned a 1909s VDB was going for $10 BIN on ebay? Was this sarcasm? Or if I travelled back in time to 2016 would this be true? (my attempt to being sarcastic) The 1909s VDB books for like $1000! Anyways those 4 coins were part of the 7 I took out. So to my point..... 151 is my total goal which I am missing 21 to get to (but if you are going off of the 141 I am only missing 11), F-12 is my averaging grade, I would like to hear some estimates? Please. Thank you.

20. Leslie Hollenbaugh

Leslie Hollenbaugh New Member

I have a complete wheat cent book from 1909-1940 and that includes the V.D.B S , 1922 no D strong reverse.. the key date cents vary from vg to au.. 1909 s vdb is I think au 50... curious if anyone has any idea what the book could be worth.. Thanks in advance..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

LakeEffect and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted