Comparing two scarce obols on offer

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ab initio, Apr 17, 2017.

1. ab initio

ab initio Well-Known Member

CNG e-396 closing April 26, lot 98
    and
    Roma e-35 closing April 29, lot 120

These two obols seem to be from the same pair of dies. The CNG one is lower in quality and has a gouge on the reverse. Its advantage over the nicer (and more expensive) Roma coin is that it has a BCD pedigree and probably comes from an early Spink Circular (I will research this provenance when I get to my library tomorrow). I know that the final prices cannot be accurately predicted but I would welcome comments on which one members think Steve should go for.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

This thread is in bad form. We don't discuss coins currently at auction so as to not bring unnecessary attention to them and perhaps ruin any of our members' plan to get that coin. Once the auction is complete, that's a different story... you can discuss them all you want.

Smojo, Kentucky and dougsmit like this.
  4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I do understand the impulse to get informed opinions on a coin I'm considering purchasing, especially if the purchase might be a lot of money to me. Through a PM, I've reached out privately to select members who might have an opinion about a coin (and still who would be unlikely to compete for it :D). Maybe ab initio could do that instead of discussing coins currently available at auction which, as Sallent says, is typically avoided on this board.

Unfortunately, I have no expertise with obols and can't help, or I'd be happy to share.

5. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

A more gentle way to ask is to not mention the auction houses or lots, but just compare the two photos anonymously and ask which is better.

Smojo likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

@ab initio, did you mistype the lot number(s)?. The obverses are different (one has horse with rider, one with riderless horse) and the reverses do not appear to be die matches.

While I generally agree with Sallent that it is preferable to discuss active auction lots privately, there is a nuance here Sallent may not be aware of. "ab initio" is the owner of the coins in question, or at least a former owner :D.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Curtisimo and red_spork like this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Well that certainly kills my desire to bid on any BCD coins. Advertising your sales seems questionable but doing it on the sly is bad form.

Sallent and ab initio like this.
  8. ab initio

9. ab initio

Apologies to everyone. I realize I did the wrong thing, at least from the point of view of the majority of the members. Also, I somehow thought they were the same type/dies, which obviously is not the case. But I never thought that members of this group are so sensitive and that this post could influence the bidding. May I research the CNG coin and find out if it has a printed pedigree? I don't think this is out of line with the spirit of the group but if it is please let me know. I have never participated in a discussion group before and must admit I did not read the rules before joining. Next time I will be more careful.

10. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I'm just delighted that I nearly offered to help BCD out with a Greek coin. That is, indeed, carrying the proverbial coals to Newcastle.

11. ab initio

I assure you that I never intended to advertise my coins, either in the open or in the sly. Of course I cannot stop you from believing so.

Curtisimo, zumbly and Volodya like this.
  12. ab initio

I must admit I was surprised with myself, being so careless and just looking at the reverses. My good friend RBW, unfortunately no longer with us, would say "Senior moment". Still this is not an excuse.

13. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Nothing was done "on the sly," Doug. BCD = ab initio was made explicitly clear in ab initio's initial post on this forum; a response in an eponymous thread you participated in: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/bcd-coins-whats-included.281007/

Why would you assume this was an effort to advertise these two e-sales? Does that truly seem likely to you, nine major auctions and tens of thousands of sold coins later? What a bizarre notion. Why not assume instead that ab initio's post was exactly what it claims to be, an effort to solicit the group's advice on Steve's prospective purchase?

Phil Davis

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Curtisimo and zumbly like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted