Common error?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by asuphiphi, Jul 15, 2020.

  1. asuphiphi

    asuphiphi Active Member

    Found this bill while star hunting. The 0 on the left serial is significantly off center with the serial number. The 0 on the right side is a little off but not as significant as the left serial. Is there a name for this? Is this common? Is it anything of value to collectors? Tia.

    Attached Files:

  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest

    to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

    SteveInTampa Always Learning

    I tend to see them often, in various degrees.
    Some call it a turned digit, old timers call it a gas pump note.
    asuphiphi likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

    Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

    It's normal I see it so much.
    asuphiphi likes this.
  5. asuphiphi

    asuphiphi Active Member

    I haven't seen such a large degree of misalignment personally but I guess back into wild it goes eventually
  6. Mountain Man

    Mountain Man Well-Known Member

    Fairly common find and a spender, in my opinion. If it were way out of alignment (frozen number), it might be worth over face value. The term "gas pump" note comes from the dial on a gas pump stopping in-between numbers.
    Because it is common, none of the error currency sites even bother to address it, so that tells you something.
  7. Sidney Osborne

    Sidney Osborne Active Member

    It is also called an odometer...but I think your ruler should be lifted to the bottom of L71...
  8. Jersey magic man

    Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

    This is what I call a gas pump error. Not shown is bookend note with Last three digits 686.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page