Common coin, advice needed

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by tenbobbit, Mar 13, 2019.

1. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

I am sure most of us have encountered this problem over the years but now it is my turn.
    The coin in question was minted in 1915 ( uk ) with around 12million issued, others in the series with lower mintages are more common than the 1915 which has me a little confused.
    NGC also prices it above those with a lower mintage.
    Low grade coins are readily available but higher grades just don't seem to appear very often if at all.
    Checking through NGC & PCGS their MS 62, 63, 64's are worn, scratched and simply not MS or even UNC for that matter.
    So, the big question is this -
    How do I set a price range for a ( raw ) coin when most available in the market are either low grade or slabbed with iffy grades ?
    I was going to post the picture of the coin later but that seems pointless -
    George v 1915 Florin - No rub to tash, eyebrow or ear, mushy lions on reverse
    IMG_4956.JPG IMG_4957.JPG
    All advice welcome, good or bad o_O

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I’m not familiar with the coin, but there’s a chance that timing played a role in terms of what got circulated or recalled/melted, or perhaps some years got hoarded due to lower mintages and now there are more of them available. Bottom line is, a coin will only sell what people will pay for it. Consider the price you’d be willing to walk away from the coin with. See if that’s ballpark and set it maybe a touch higher with the option of negotiating. This conundrum, by the way, is one of the many reasons I hate selling coins. I much prefer trading. Good luck!

tenbobbit likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Without time to look at the NGC page, I must say that that is one very attractive florin.

I don't always trust their online catalog. It is shamefully full of glitchy errors. However, most of those are glaringly obvious (like a coin in VG being worth four times what an XF is worth, for example).

Survival rates might have something to do with it. And the World War I economy and all that. I dunno. Perhaps our British members can chime in.

Nice coin!

spirityoda and tenbobbit like this.
  5. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

That's a really nice coin in very good shape.
    I will go MS65 and would send his beauty to NGC.

tenbobbit likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I wouldn't argue with that. I suppose 64 is possible, but that one looks like a very nice Mint State example. I personally prefer PCGS (you get a TrueView image with the grade, for one thing), but NGC does have a larger market share in World coins, and is of course just fine.

tenbobbit likes this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

tenbobbit likes this.
  8. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies & compliments folks.
    I wont be sending it off for grading as it is too expensive, that will be up to whoever takes ownership when the time comes ( I would like to see the result though )
    Tony claytons site I use as a guide all the time Davey but sometimes the prices listed don't reflect the greater marketplace and I think my coin falls into this area ( UK is not where I will be looking to offload )
    I appreciate the advice and will do a little more research of sold coins to figure things out.

9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Tony is just the messenger.

The information has generally been taken from the UK monthly magazine Coin News,

10. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

There is often a difference in price between the UK and USA market place for GB coins, with the latter generally higher for the better grades. I suspect this is because fewer top grade UK coins are sold in the US and US buyers are more focused on top grade examples. Whatever the books may say, all the pre-1920 George V florins are quite common over here and only the very best make much over melt. Yours is very nice, but would be swamped by the less good ones here.
    The US is definitely the better place to sell it.

Draft saved Draft deleted