Commodus the Virus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Commodus. His reign put an end to the era of the "five good emperors" of the Antonine dynasty. His death opened a period of crisis known as the second year of the four emperors. He was the SARS-CoV-2 of his time ! He ruled the world for 12 long years. I am confident that we will defeat the virus in much less time. I could't resist this big provincial bronze coin in an auction last week-end. It is also my first one from Caesarea. Please show me your big bronzes of Commodus or anything you want from Cappadocia area!

Commodus Ae 29
    Caesarea Cappadocia
    Altar surmounted by sacred image of Mount Argaios
    Μ AYPH ΚΟΜ ΑΝΤⲰΝΙΝΟϹ
    ΜΗΤΡΟΠΟ ΚΑΙϹΑΡƐΙΑϹ ƐΤ Α (date on altar)=190AD
    29mm 16.31g RPC IV 10082
    46977621-BBD5-4B32-9E8A-46E182D96A52.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I read this as ET lambda. Commodus usually dated his coins from the start with his father so year 30 was was 190 AD. ET abbreviates 'year'.

The type was used by everyone. I have a Septimius Severus year 2 (194) and an Elagabalus year 3.
    pi0950b01391lg.jpg pn1770fd1386.jpg

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

No big bronze but here's an Alexandrian tet. Also, for all his philosophical musings Marcus Aurelius failed to "adopt" a man of high standing and abilities as his successor, instead leaving his position to Commodus. Thus, it was the end of the period of the five "good" emperors. We all know what happened next. Chaos, followed by the somewhat destructive "meh" reigns of the Severan dynasty for the next 45 years.

As Gibbon says:

"If a man were called to fix the period in the history of the world, during which the condition of the human race was most happy and prosperous, he would, without hesitation, name that which elapsed from the death of Domitian to the accession of Commodus.

Commodus (180-192. A.D.)

Type: Billon Tetradrachm, 25mm, 11.06 grams

Obverse: M AVΡ KOMMO ANTΩNINOC CE, Laureate bust of Commodus right

Reverse: VΠAT OCTOΔ, Zeus seated left, holding scepter and thunderbolt, K theta in field

Reference: Emmett 2567

commodus1.jpg

commodus2.jpg

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Interesting one, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix !

Here's a Severus Alexander one ...

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander, AD 222-235.
    Roman Provincial AE 25.0 mm, 10.37 g.
    Cappadocia, Caesarea, AD 222/3.
    Obv: ΑV Κ Μ ΑVΡ ϹЄΟΥ ΑΛЄΞΑΝΔΡ, laureate head, right; uncertain c/m behind.
    Rev: ΜΗΤΡΟΠ ΚΑΙϹΑΡΙ, agalma of Mount Argaeus surmounted by star, atop altar inscribed ЄTA (= year 1).
    Refs: RPC VI 6735; Sydenham 537-38; BMC 298; SNG von Aul 6510.

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Commodus denarius (my 9th year as emperor) 001.JPG Commodus denarius (my 9th year as emperor) 003.JPG Ae Lucius Verus, Mt. Argeus Cappadocia 001.JPG Ae Lucius Verus, Mt. Argeus Cappadocia 004.JPG Commodus."My Ninth year as Emperor" denarius, Mars Reverse..Lucius Verus bronze Mt. Argus, Cappadocia

7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Will the virus try to rename the city of Wuhan "Colonia Lucia Annia Covidiana"?? :eek:

Here's my representation of the Commodus virus at its most virulent stage:
    Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 1.59.03 PM.jpg

And I just picked up this passel of Commodiana from CNG:
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 10.18.10 PM.jpg
    Interestingly, the rare IOVI DEFENS SALVTIS reverse (top right), with Jupiter and seven stars (the Pleiades?) might be a reference to the Antonine plague, finally overcome at around the time of issue.

8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice examples all. Commodus did have some interesting coins though...

6C014D75-456F-4D13-AA95-BF3961F808B4.jpeg
    6C1A2246-138F-4973-9FBA-E9983C2E8661.jpeg
    3A1982EC-4997-4808-B7E0-B7DCA87B52DB.jpeg
    D8D47CA3-0AC0-43E8-8216-10266755C27D.jpeg
    Some photos I took at the Capitoline Museum of the famous Commodus as Hercules statue.

9. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Commodus (Augustus)
    Coin: Brass Sestertius
    M COMMODVS ANT [P FELIX] AVG BRIT - laureate head right
    LIBERAL AVG VI [P M TR P XI IMP VII COS V P P] S C - Commodus seated left on curule chair atop platform, officer standing left behind him, Liberalitas standing left before him, holding abacus and cornucopiae, citizen mounting stepsof platform on left, about to receive largess
    Mint: Rome (186 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 21.00g / 31mm / -
    Rarity: Scarce
    References:
    • RIC 471a

10. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

only have one large bronze, not from Capadoccia but from Rome, and the reverse is not good :-(

Commodus, Æ Sestertius
    Rome, 190 AD

27.5 x 29 mm, 19.608 g
    Ref.: RIC III Commodus 563; Cohen 320;

Ob.: (M CO)MMOD ANT P F / ELIX AVG BRIT PP Head of Commodus, laureate, right
    Rev.: LIBERAL AVG VII PM TR P XV IMP VIII COS V I Liberalitas, draped, standing left, holding coin-counter in right hand and cornucopia in left hand; across field S C

upload_2020-3-18_19-45-49.png upload_2020-3-18_19-46-16.png

11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

12. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

I need a better photo of this one
    upload_2020-3-19_8-18-2.png

Phrygia. Hierapolis . Commodus
    Bronze. Ca. 188 - 192

ΑVΤ ΚΑΙ Μ ΑΥΡ ΚΟΜΜΟΔοϹ; laureate-headed bust of Commodus

wearing cuirass and paludamentum, r., seen from rear

ΙƐΡΑΠοΛƐΙΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ ϹΑΡΔΙΑΝΩΝ ΟΜΟΝΟΙΑ; to l., Apollo standing, r., holding plectrum and lyre;

to r., cult statue of Kore of Sardis standing, facing, wearing tall crown surmounted by crescent;

between poppy and ears of corn

39 mm. 27,32 g.

RPC online 2019

13. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

There was indeed an epidemic in 191–193 AD, which is commonly known as "the plague of Commodus" and had a disastrous impact on the Roman city populace. Commodus did little to nothing to help the situation, and he might even have caused or worsened the crisis with his reckless experiments with Rome's grain supply and storage. Morris Silver at least argues that the extent and spread of this epidemic were caused by Commodus' economic measures, and concludes that "what superficially appears to be an exogenous shock to a society's economy, like the outbreak of bubonic plague, is actually a predictable, albeit probabilistic, result of that society's misguided economic policy" (M. Silver: "The Plague under Commodus as an Unintended Consequence of Roman Grain Market Regulation", in: The Classical World 105.2, 2012, pp. 199–225, p. 216).

Well, I won't start comparing Commodus to some of our own political leaders. That would violate forum rules, so I'll post two sestertii instead. But you can think your part.

Rom – Commodus, sesterz, de germanis.png
    Commodus, Roman Empire, sestertius, 177 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP L AVREL COMMODVS AVG [GERM] SARM; laureate and draped bust of Commodus r. Rev: T[R P] II COS [P]P; pile of Germanic arms; in fields, S-C; in exergue, DE GERMANIS. 31mm, 21.84g. Ref: RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1570. Ex CNG, e-auction 142, lot 134; ex CNG, e-auction 447, lot 471.

Rom – Commodus, Sesterz, Roma .png
    Commodus, Roman Empire, sestertius, 183 AD, Rome mint. Obv: M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG PIVS; laureate head of Commodus r. Rev: P VIII [IMP VI] COS IIII P P; Roma, helmeted, draped, seated l. on shield, holding Victory in extended r. hand and vertical spear in l. hand; in fields, S-C. 30mm, 25.14g. Ref: RIC III Commodus 369. Ex André Cichos.

Draft saved Draft deleted