Commodus, Hercules

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Amit Vyas, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Amit Vyas

Amit Vyas Well-Known Member

In the later part of his reign, Commodus began to show signs of megalomania. He may well have been unhinged by the continual attempts on his life.

He gave orders that he be called Hercules, son of Zeus instead of Commodus, son of Marcus, and took to wearing a lion skin and carrying a club in public. He also appeared in the games of 192 AD in the guise of Hercules Venator (the Hunter), killing various animals and fighting as a gladiator. By contemporary accounts, the left-handed emperor was quite a marksman, beheading Mauritanian ostriches with his arrows.

The contrast of his character with his revered father, Marcus Aurelius, led to rumors that he was illegitimate, the product of his mother's adultery with a gladiator. He was eventually assassinated on December 31st, 192 AD.
    (Adapted from Chronicle of the Roman Emperors by Chris Scarre)

Commodus_Musei_Capitolini_MC1120.jpg
    Commodus as Hercules (Image source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Commodus_Musei_Capitolini_MC1120.jpg)

Commodus (177-192 AD), AR Denarius, Rome mint, 192 AD, RIC 251, RSC 190, BMC 339 (3.3 g, 17 mm)

Obverse: Head of Commodus as Hercules right, wearing Nemean lion skin. L AEL AVREL COMM AVG P FEL
    Reverse: Legend divided by club, all within wreath. HER-CVL / RO-MAN / AV-GV
    Herc.jpg

Commodus (177-192 AD), Æ As, Rome mint, 192 AD,
    RIC 644, Cohen 193, BMC 722, 725 (8.22 g, 24.5 mm)

Obverse
    : Head of Commodus as Hercules right, wearing Nemean lion skin. (L AEL AVREL COMM AVG P FEL)

Reverse: Legend divided by club, all within wreath. HER-CVL / RO-MAN / AV-GV/S-C
    Bert2.jpg

Spaniard, Limes, Ryro and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Very interesting the usurping the power of the lion over your head. Wonderful, thanks

galba68 likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

One of my favorite coin types. For some reason, I buy them over and over when I see them. I must have 6 silver and 4 coppers of the type. Its not rare, but only made one year and very popular, so always more expensive than most of his types.

Mammothtooth and svessien like this.
  5. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Very interesting! Its cool how he is even wearing the lion skin on the coin.

Mammothtooth likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

He went nuts, declaring himself the "new Hercules", renaming Rome after himself, "Colonia Commodiana" or Colony of Commodus. Change the name of the Senate, legions, and fleet after himself. I love the coin type, as it reminds me that anyone can simply go bat crap crazy at times. Because of all of this, he was assasinated by a wrestler after a poisoning attempt failed.

7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice coins and write-up. One of my favorite emperors to collect - I'd like to get one of those lionskin bust types, but they tend to be out of my price range.

Until then, here this new one is a Commodus sestertius with the Hercules Farnese on the reverse - this was minted earlier in his reign, before Commodus started dressing up like Hercules (at least not on his coins).

This is not the similar one where Hercules is holding the bow. Here he rests his club on a rock, other hand behind his back holding the apples (presumably), like the Farnese statue. As far as I can tell, it is rather scarce.

[​IMG]

Commodus Æ Sestertius
    (183-184 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

[M COM]MODVS A[NTONINVS AVG PIV]S, laureate head right / [P M TR P VIIII IMP VI COS IIII P P] S-C, Hercules standing facing, nude, head right, resting club wrapped in lion skin upon a rock.
    RIC III 399Aa (see note).
    (18.36 grams / 28 mm)

Attribution Notes: Legend not clear, but seems to be RIC 399Aa (bottom tail of the "S" is just visible at the end of the obverse legend). There are two variations of the Hercules without the bow type:

RIC 399Aa ...ANTONINVS AVG PIVS
    RIC 399Ac ...ANTON AVG PIVS BRIT

Spaniard, Ryro, Bing and 2 others like this.
  8. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Interesting on this bust the beard seems to be a difficult thing to sculpt. They always look they are growing a gaggle of fishing worms from top to bottom. I wonder if it was the fashion to curl them like that.

He looks like a Chia Pet ad.

9. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Commodus Ar Denarius 191-192 AD Obv. Head of Commodus right wearing lion skin headdress. Rv. Club flanked by bow and quiver RIC 253 3.50 grms 18 mm Photo by W. Hansen commodusd3.jpg This has to be one of the most unusual images ever adopted by a Roman emperor and while this type was later used by Gallienus and the Tetrarchs, it does defy explanation. I wonder if however this image is a manifestation started by Hadrian. Prior to Hadrian the depiction of Emperors was always manly alpha males usually in military garb. Hadrian started the concept that the emperor was in fact chosen by the gods the PROVEDENTIAE DEORUM or the providence of the gods. I wonder as Commodus began to realize his growing unpopularity he didn't try to cling ever more tightly to the notion that he was "chosen"

Spaniard, Limes, Bing and 5 others like this.
  10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Excellent examples!
    Here's my Commadness!
    1403849E-858B-4F17-BB29-D7CA0F0B171B.jpg

Amit Vyas, PeteB, Bing and 2 others like this.
  11. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

That is a fine specimen! Here's mine:
    23.2.png

Amit Vyas, PeteB, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted