Commodus Denarius Upgrade: Marcomannic Wars Captives & Trophy

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtis, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Anyone have an upgrade of a type already in their collection to share?
    Or Commodus? coins relating to Roman-Germanic or Roman-Sarmatian wars?
    Or more captives or trophies? (Though we've already had another recent captives thread, I always like to see more!)​

--- --- ---

Here's a Commodus Denarius upgrade I just received for my "Captives & Barbarians" Collection.

(Full disclosure: I posted this on Forum too, where I bought it.)

I've previously posted some coins from my "Two-Captives-and-Trophy" sub-collection, from Julius Caesar to Constantine: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ca...o-constantine-others-if-you-have-them.374729/

And more recently about the first Roman trophy-and-captive coins, a pair of AR Quinari (c. 101 & 98 BCE) commemorating a previous Germanic war: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-first-roman-captives-trophy-tableau-monument.407741/

Commodus Captives Denarius FAC E.png
    Commodus AR Denarius (18mm, 2.31g, 12h), Rome mint, 180 CE.
    Obv: M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG. Laureate head right.
    Rev: TR P V IMP IIII COS II P P. Two captives seated back to back on shields propped against trophy of captive arms.
    Ref: RIC 9a; RSC 791; RCV 5706.
    Prov: Ex Forum RS111654 (2 Oct 2023).​

These coins do not name the captives on the reverse, or from whom the trophy of arms was captured. But this type must relate to the Marcomannic Wars of his father (Bellum Germanicum et Sarmaticum). Commodus, as a young Caesar, had accompanied Marcus Aurelius north to prosecute was against the Sarmatians and various Germanic tribes.

If you remember the opening scenes of the movie Gladiator, I’m pretty sure the left captive is that burly bearded fellow who came out of the woods shouting in German and chucked a severed head at the Romans.

In 176 (four years before this coin), the pair celebrated victory (perhaps a bit prematurely) with a Triumph in Rome. Captives-coinage was struck at that time with “DE SARM” and “DE GERM” (and related) legends.

When M. Aurel. died in 180, Commodus promptly negotiated a peace, ending the wars (a few minor outbursts over the next year or two notwithstanding). Although the enemies' identities are not named here, I think this coin celebrates Commodus' conclusion of war in Germania.

Commodus Captives Denarius Savoca.png
    Commodus AR Denarius (19mm, 2.66g, 12h), Rome mint, 180 CE.
    Prov: Ex Savoca 94th Bl. (30 Jan 2021), 1312.​

As you can see, the new coin is much better than my previous specimen. I collect these for the interesting historical & sociological background, but more attractive portrait, surfaces, and details of the "trophy tableau" is always nicer!

commodus captives Zoom.png

One detail that is seemingly unique to Marcus Aurelius & Commodus’ version of the captives-and-trophy:

The two captives are seated on shields propped against the trophy, not seated on the ground (as described by RIC, and as on most other rulers’ reverses of this type). (Almost a gentle touch, in a perverse Roman Imperial sort of way.)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Nice thread and examples. The only time I have replaced a coin, is when I wanted a better example of a coin from a lot. It was heavily corroded but I liked the design and looked for another. I only order from VCoins dealers in Spain where I live, so it took a while. But, as it is said, patience is a virtue and this one came up.
    CONSTANTINE sirmium.jpg

Curtisimo, Curtis, Bing and 2 others like this.
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice addition @Curtis ! I haven’t bought too many duplicates. One of the only times I ever did I kept the one with a lower grade because of the provenance and gave the one that most would probably prefer to a friend in a gift exchange. I’ve already posted this coin a bunch so I’ll post something different.

Here is a Commodus that I recently found a 2007 provenance for. Not a very old provenance but I still thought it was neat.
    Commodus_Ses_1.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Commodus under Marcus Aurelius
    AE Sestertius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 179
    Dia.: 33 mm
    Wt.: 26.37 g
    Obv.: L AVREL COMMODVS AVG TR P IIII; Laureate head of Commodus right
    Rev.: IMP III COS II P P S C; Minerva standing left extending right hand, left hand resting on shield on ground to right, spear resting against shield
    Ref.: RIC III 1607 p. 342 (under Marcus Aurelius)
    Ex Stacks Coin Galleries July 2007, lot 768 (July 18, 2007); Ex Kenneth W. Dorney Auction 7, Lot 113 (Nov. 25, 2018); Ex Kenneth W. Dorney Auction 9, Lot 105 (Nov. 29, 2019)

Draft saved Draft deleted