Commerative Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by icollectoldmoney, Oct 26, 2017.

1. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

what is the best way to buy commerative coins slabbed or unslabbed. I own the major league half dollar slabbed and I want to buy more commeratives.Do not know what the best way to collect them is.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Modern commemorative coins? I would buy them raw and probably with original government packaging if it was me. Most of them are pretty inexpensive and in my opinion not worth any additional premium that you would pay for them slabbed.

Classic commemorates...I'd be more willing to buy those slabbed.

Beefer518 and Oldrdawg like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Depends what you like better. Most modern ones you can get for basically no premium as a slabbed 69. The best way is really going to just be what you like better with the one exception of getting slabbed ones for the classic commemoratives with the most expensive ones.

5. icollectoldmoney

Well I want to start a collection that will be better past down to my son when he gets older

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Other than above, older commems you can get from Provident or APMEX (and others) and also eBay if you want to roll the dice more or coin shows.

I like the classic commemoratives and also collect some modern ones too.
    I don't have very many slabbed though. I really enjoy looking closely at the designs and I don't like looking through plastic much. it also depends what grade you are looking for. Some commems can get expensive on higher grades.

7. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't think you will see much difference in long term value of slabbed verses OGP modern commemorative coins.

8. icollectoldmoney

So I can buy slabbed and unslabbed and be ok

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Really depends what it is. For moderns yea should be okay the raw are just a little less liquid if you wanted to sell online but it's not a big deal for most. For classics there's a big difference between getting a Hawaiian and a Booker or Carver one.

10. icollectoldmoney

Oh ok i will look into them

11. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

In regards to the classic silver series, I would get as many pre-slabbed as possible, and wthout a doubt the high ends (Hawaiian, Hudson, Antietam, etc). It seems most of the raw ones still available have been altered in some way (cleaned, AT, etc). I was doing a double set of slabbed and raw, and the task of finding raw ones that were untouched was more difficult then affording the series slabbed.

Moderns can go either way. As stated above, there really isn't a huge premium for slabbed (except maybe some MS70's), and most raw were put away neatly by the owner, and stayed in good condition.

You said -
    ...and that is something to consider. Slabs will travel easier (moving to a new house, or whatever), but I think it would be nice+ for him to also have the original packaging, with all the details about the commemoration, etc. I also think having all of the OGP may have additional value decades from now, especially since so many get slabbed, and the OGP just seems to vanish.

It's a personal decision, really.

SilverMike likes this.
  12. icollectoldmoney

Well I am going to collect the slabs with the original OGP.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Don't worry about the present value of the collection. Remember, when the time comes to pass your collection on to your children, it will be 100% profit for them.

Chris

green18 likes this.
  14. icollectoldmoney

Yes sir he a miracle baby he was born at 24 weeks and 6 days he going be a young numistics like his daddy was at one time

green18 and Beefer518 like this.
  15. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

How old is he now?

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Absofreakin'lutely.........

Just don't do anything high end till ya get a feel for the series. Ya don't want to risk puttin' your foot in it. Moderns, ya have no worries, as most are OGP and ain't faked. Classics are another animal. The high end coins in the series (Hawaiian, Spanish Trail, Hudson) should be purchased in TPG holders till you're well versed.....they are often faked.

17. icollectoldmoney

He is currently 4 months old still in Arkansas Childrens Hospital.I really like the commerative coins.Was wondering how much a major league baseball clad half dollar is worth in ms 69 in NGC packaging with the OGP is worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted