Commemorative errors and varieties

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bradarv90, Sep 28, 2011.

1. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

So I just recently got more interested in american commemorative coins and I was wondering if there were any good sites that have a lot of know errors / varieties.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Hear tell that Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties, 5th edition, volume II is gonna have some stuff related to commem's. Got a pre-order in at Whitman.......:)

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Kevin Flynn's book, The Authoritative Reference on Commemorative Coins: 1892-1954 lists varieties for the classic commems.

Chris

5. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

i think errors are relatively rare in commemoratives.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

From what I've heard, yes indeed. Many times the same die pairing would be used through out the run. Makes for no varieties. Still, I'm waitin' on the "Cherry Pickers". :)

7. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

I might have to check out the cherrypicker's guide when it comes out, I've never seen a copy of that book.

8. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

I collect both early and modern types, have never seen an error, the only variety I am aware of are the 4 duvall types for Lafayette dollar, and some proof like varietys. I haven't read the book though.

9. cpm9ball

Be aware that the newest release that is expected any time now is Volume II of a 2-volume set. Volume I was released in 2008. You can see the write-up on both volumes on the Whitman Books site.

Chris

10. cpm9ball

Don't forget the 1915 S/S Pan Pac. There are others, too.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There are five varieties of the Lafayette dollar now. An interesting coin, the only one since the 1830 where the dies were not hubbed. Instead the lettering was punched into each die by hand and I suspect the olive branch above the date was either hand engraved of the leaves hand punched.

Draft saved Draft deleted