Commemorative Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by HawkeEye, May 12, 2018.

1. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

I thought I saw a post about a Commemorative Coin Society but cannot locate it. Does anyone remember such a post?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

4. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Interestingly they seem to have disbanded and left everything to the ANA. Wonder if anything else emerged. Commemoratives are not the most popular collecting area, but interesting.

alurid likes this.
  5. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Anyone out there interested in starting a study of commemorative coins?

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

There are many ppl here who collect Commemorative Coins.
    I love them myself.

7. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

I have recently take up interest in them as well. I've yet to purchase anything but I've been eyeballing some of the 1893 Columbian Expo's on eBay

8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Be careful though, if you peruse Alibaba there many very convincing commem fakes on that website. Made me stop collecting for a bit until I learn more.

9. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

If you buy PCGS slabbed coins you have some protection as well as PayPal.

I am about to get into the Stone Mountain commemorative in a big way which got me to thinking about commemoratives in general.

10. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Commems rule and they are interesting and challenging to collect. I have presented on this topic at my coin club and there was interest and audience engagement. I would be very interested in this topic.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Well maybe we get a thread or two going on topics. My main interest right now is die varieties for the Stone Mountain Half which I think is virgin territory as to research. My usual ventures into collecting is to go deep on a very narrow subject rather than cover the water.

12. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I own a few. They are very interesting. I find it sad that the US can’t come up with anything to match them in this day and era.

Endeavor likes this.
  14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Fun coins with some great history. Q. David Bowers wrote the book on these. It's interesting how the prices on these coins never really change much. They go up a little and they go back down. Not a lot of demand that last very long.
    I always thought that at some point the pricing would go crazy with folks collecting them. Just don't seem to happen.

Endeavor likes this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

@green18

17. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

18. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I have put together a half dozen of the ones I found most beautiful, and an Oregon Trail is on the way.

This is a particular favorite.
    50c 1935 Connecticut full 11v.gif

19. TheMiz

TheMiz Member

I find the Swiatek book much better than the Bowers book. Love commems! And now you can buy them at a fraction of where they were price wise at their peak. I've been focusing on the 66 & 67 grades.

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This coin is not mine. It created a lot of talk many years ago. I think it sold for something like 50K.
    1373.jpg 1373R.jpg

21. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Not today, HawkeEye, thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted