Commemorative Coins in 2019 for 100th Anniversary of the American Legion

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by willieboyd2, Mar 19, 2018.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Yes, another military commemorative coin set is coming!

In 2019, the United States Mint will produce and sell commemorative coins for the 100th anniversary of the American Legion military veteran's group.

The usual gold $5, silver dollar, and clad half-dollar with various finishes.

Coin News Details:
    http://www.coinnews.net/2017/10/17/2019-american-legion-commemorative-coins

[​IMG]
    American Legion Armistice Day token 1938

:)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If they don't goon the design I will be getting one of those.

4. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

5. Blissskr

Well it appears the CCAC strikes once again, what follows is the CCAC recommended design choices.
    $5 gold
    [​IMG]
    $1
    [​IMG]
    Half
    [​IMG]

6. baseball21

Lol is this a joke? That's atrocious. And they wonder why they can't sell these things

Given the subject I find the folded flag downright shameful and disrespectful as a choice. That's not the issue to use that on, and seems to be a shameful play for sales at best.

I firmly believe if they want the US mint to be an elite mint again this committee needs to be replaced entirely

PlanoSteve, thomas mozzillo and Rassi like this.
  7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I like the $1 commem design. The other two, meh.

Joshua Lemons and PlanoSteve like this.
  8. Blissskr

I agree, though I doubt anyone on the CCAC has ever been handed a burial flag by an honor guard before. In fact they probably don't even have the decency to know what that folded flag represents and went with it for sales like you stated.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  9. baseball21

Look up some of their comments on war memorial ATB sites. You’ll be equally disgusted

10. Blissskr

I just did and honestly, but sadly I'm not surprised. Ever since the comments regarding classic designs and how they should be left to die, nothing surprises me with the CCAC anymore. I mean, yeah Weinman and St. Gaudens are dead. But once again we saw the demand and popularity for classic or timeless design choices with how well the Palladium Eagle sold. The mint or congress or whoever has the say should disband the CCAC and hire another master sculptor who has a background in actually designing sculptures or works of art. You'd think the ever falling sales would clue them into the fact that what they're doing isn't working.

11. baseball21

I agree. I don’t think that the old designs sell because people want repeats, rather 99.9 percent of what the modern mint puts out is just garbage compared to the rest of the world. I honestly wouldn’t even rate them as a top 5 mint anymore. It’s a joke and I do view the CCAC as a huge problem for the designs.

PlanoSteve and Blissskr like this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Three genuine pieces of junk.

dwhiz, Nathan401 and Blissskr like this.
  13. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Some of the artists were having fun with this project.

The little kid looks like Barack Obama, and there's that good old American building, the Eiffel Tower.

:)

PlanoSteve likes this.
  14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Guess the idea was quite simply to not have whites only on that side. Oh well. What I don't like is the six dots. :) Heck, if you want to start a slogan or motto on one side and continue it on the other, design two matching parts.

The Eiffel Tower as a representation of "Paris 1919" makes some sense in the context of the American Legion. But that design I find strange. (Then again, the French mint just issued a bunch of Mickey Mouse coins, one with Mickey in front of the Eiffel Tower ...) The $1 looks OK to me.

Christian

15. ToppCatt

ToppCatt ToppCatt

Six dots?

16. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'd like to see Lady Liberty and good old George dominate our currency.

Santinidollar likes this.
  17. Blissskr

I guess they were trying to copy the design that the legion made for themselves with a 100th anniversary medal or what they call a coin or challenge coin.

Which kind of begs the question why even mint this commemorative. When the organization is already selling their own 'coin' for a 100th anniversary and the target sales beyond collectors is people associated with the organization. No one thought it seems silly to potentially lessen the sales by splitting or trying to double dip one of your main target markets. Especially with the end result of the legion getting nothing if the mint doesn't recoup costs and we've seen how poorly almost all recent commems have sold.

https://www.legion.org/membership/2...l-challenge-coin-hot-seller-department-france

And according to the date on this link the legion has been selling their own 100th challenge coin for over two years now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  18. Blissskr

I believe he's referring to the half's design with it's ellipsis dots 3 on the obverse and 3 on the reverse

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Indeed. The text from Pledge of Alliance has an odd appearance in my opinion: First, it comes in two different fonts for the obverse and the reverse (plus the font for the other text elements). Does not really convey continuity, and the attempt at linking the two parts this ... | ... way does not make things better.

The designer could have made an element such as a text ribbon that uses the same style on either side. Or the Legion logo could be at the bottom of the obverse; then the text from "I pledge" to "flag" could be right above the flag. No dots required. :)

Christian

20. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with Blissskr's comments. Also, what doe's the half dollar designs have to do with the American Legion? The US Mint needs to completely overhaul their designers dept. and get some new blood. The people on all of our modern coins look like a child drew them. Mannequins show more expression. Whoever has the final say on what designs are chosen must take a closer look at what they are approving. Our US coinage is dull and boring to look at. Maybe we need a new renaissance of all our coins. Thanks for letting me rant, but I've been so disappointed with our Commemorative Program.

21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Join the club

Draft saved Draft deleted