commemorative coin in honor Octavian Augustus and Livia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ro1974, May 17, 2019.

1. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Divus Augustus (died AD 14). Orichalcum dupondius (30mm, 15.45 gm, 6h). Rome, under Claudius, AD 42-50. DIVVS AVGVSTVS, radiate head of the deified Augustus left between S – C /A, Livia seated to left holding grain ears in right hand and long torch wrapped in left arm. RIC (Claudius) 101 (R2). BMCRE (Claudius) 224. Cohen 93. Rare! Boldly struck on a large, heavy flan, from dies of exceptional style. Fantastic portrait and natural chocolate brown patina. Choice Extremely Fine. From The Lexington Collection. Ex UBS 78 (Basel, 9 September 2008), lot 1377. One of the first acts of Claudius, after his accession as emperor, was to propose that the late Livia, wife of Augustus, be deified. The Senate granted this honor in AD AD 42, 13 years after her death, and the appropriate celebrations were made. This attractive coin could be viewed as commemorating the event, depicting the long-deified Augustus along new, with his newly elevated wife. The work of cutting the dies was obviously considered important enough to be given to a master engraver, as both the portrait of Augustus and the graceful image of Livia are of outstanding quality. _DSCbbb3688.jpg

Cucumbor, lordmarcovan, NLL and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice ro.

ro1974 likes this.
  4. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

2790435.jpg
    almost the same coin my details has more wear

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...and the dimple in his cheek :)

6. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

That is a very beautiful coin. It reminds me of Robert Graves' "I Claudius", the scene when the dying Livia makes Claudius promise to make her a goddess when she dies.

7. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Thanks all _DSC3710.JPG _DSC3708.JPG

Clavdivs and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

The OP coin is very nice with very good color and excellent style.

is not how most firms would grade it. There is too much wear along the radiate crown.

ro1974 likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I love these brassy orichalcum coins.

ro1974 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted